Buffalo Soldier Barracks
In the summer of 1867, the Buffalo Soldiers moved west, beginning two decades of continuous service on the Great Plains and the mountains and deserts of New Mexico and Arizona. By 1869, the 10th Cavalry was headquartered at Fort Sill, then called Camp Wichita, in Indian Territory. For the next six years, the troops protected and kept peace among the Kiowas, Comanches, Southern Cheyennes and Arapahoes on the reservation at Fort Sill.
Troopers of the 10th Cavalry of Buffalo Soldiers accompanied General William T. Sherman on his inspection tour of the Texas frontier in the spring of 1871 and returned with him to Fort Sill.
In the spring of 1873, companies of the 10th Cavalry were transferred to Texas to forts Richardson, Griffin and Concho. At various times, Buffalo Soldiers of the 9th and 10th Cavalry regiments served at virtually every Texas frontier fort from the Rio Grande to the Red River and on into the Panhandle.
This photograph shows U.S. Cavalry troopers in barracks at an unidentified fort.
2014.1.3, Courtesy of Fort Concho National Historic Landmark