Fort Concho, Texas
Elements of all four regiments of the Buffalo Soldiers, the 24th and 25th Infantry and the 9th and 10th Cavalry, were stationed at Fort Concho during its most active period.
At full strength, Fort Concho supported 400-500 men made up of companies of infantries and troops of cavalry, staff officers and support personnel.
In June 1889, the last soldiers marched away from Fort Concho and the fort was deactivated. After almost twenty-two years, Fort Concho’s role in settling of the Texas frontier was over.
This photograph shows a U.S. Cavalry trooper looking up from the river behind Fort Concho.
2014.1.2, Courtesy of Fort Concho National Historic Landmark