REG103. NAMING A HORSE. Each horse for which registration is applied must be given a name acceptable to AQHA.
REG103.1 The name must not exceed 20 characters, including letters, numbers and blank spaces.
- REG103.2 Arabic numerals are permitted as a suffix, if separate from the remainder of the name.
- REG103.3 Punctuation marks are not permitted.
- REG103.4 A name may be reused if all of the following criteria are met by the horse originally issued the name:
- REG103.4.1 is deceased as evidenced by AQHA records;
- REG103.4.2 does not have a performance record (show or race);
- REG103.4.3 has not received any AQHA special achievement recognition award or alliance recognition that appear on AQHA records as an award;
- REG103.4.4 does not have offspring with a performance record (show or race) nor any AQHA special achievement recognition award or alliance recognition that appear on AQHA records as an award;
- REG103.4.5 does not have produce or get younger than 10 years of age.
- REG103.5 A name may be reserved for a period of one year from the date AQHA receives a written reservation request and the applicable non-refundable fee. Should the name not be used within that time period, the name will be released without further notice by AQHA unless, prior to the expiration of the reservation, the name is reserved again for another one year period per the procedure immediately above.