AQHYA Officers, Delegates, Directors and Executive Committee
Section 1: The business and property of the organization shall be managed and controlled by the Board of Delegates and an Executive Committee hereinafter created and empowered.
Section 2: Delegates: A youth affiliate shall exercise its voting privileges in the organization through its delegates, annually elected by the resident members in good standing of each youth affiliate.
- Vacancy: In the case of any vacancy in the Affiliate Board of Delegates, the President of the youth affiliate shall appoint a successor to fill the unexpired term of the affiliate's delegate.
- Meetings: The regular annual meeting or meetings of the Board of Delegates shall be held at such time and place as they may be fixed by the AQHYA Executive Committee for the purpose of electing officers of the organization and for the purpose of such other business as may be brought before the meeting. Special meetings of the Board of Delegates may be held at such time and place as may be designated in the notice, whenever called in writing by the direction of the President or by a majority of the Board of Delegates.
- Notice of Meetings: Written or printed notice of all meetings stating the place, date and hour of meeting, and in the case of a special meeting, the purpose or purposes of which the meeting is being called, shall be delivered not less than 15 days before the date of the meeting, either in person or by mail, at the discretion of the president or secretary, or the officer or person calling the meeting, to each recognized youth affiliate entitled to vote at such meeting. If mailed, such notice shall be deemed to be delivered, upon deposit in the United States mail addressed to recognized youth affiliates at their address as it appears on the records of the association, with postage thereon prepaid.
- Quorum: A majority of the number of delegates shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business, but if at any meeting of the board there may be less than a quorum present, a majority of those present may adjourn the meeting from time to time until a quorum shall be present.
- Powers of the Board: The Board of Delegates shall have the power and authority to direct the affairs of the organization, including, but not limited to, the right to make, amend and repeal the constitution of the organization, as they may deem expedient concerning the conduct, management and activities of the organization, the admission, classification, qualification, suspension and expulsion of members, removal of officers, expenditure of money and other details relating to the general purposes of the organization, subject to the approval of the Advisory Board.
Section 3: Regions of the Organization: The continental United States and Canadian provinces shall be divided into ten regions which shall be designated as shown by the map above-right. Youth affiliates of international countries will participate in an eleventh region.
Section 4: AQHYA Officers: The officers of the organization shall be the president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, and sentinel who shall be elected from and by the Board of Delegates previously selected by the voting delegates of various regions of the organization. Such officers shall hold office for a period of one year and until their successors are elected and qualified. AQHYA Officers may be elected to different offices, or reelected to the same office each year with the exception of president. An officer must remain eligible for AQHYA membership and a member in good standing for the duration of their term. (An officer can not turn 19 before January 1 during the term in which they are serving with the exception of immediate past president.) Youth may only accept a nomination for AQHYA Officer if they have been elected as an AQHYA Director at that AQHYA Convention. Additionally, the youth must have served as an AQHYA Director for at least one term. Refer to the AQHYA Guide to Campaigning for complete details on the election process at aqha.com/forms.
- President: The president shall be the chief executive officer of the association and shall have general supervision of the affairs of the association, subject to the direction of the Board of Delegates, and shall preside at all meetings of the members and the Board of Delegates. The president shall appoint all committees of the association subject to the approval of the AQHA and AQHYA Executive Committees. The president shall submit to the members annually at their meeting a report of the status of the association and its activities during the preceding year. No delegate of AQHYA may be elected to serve more than one year as president. Once the AQHYA Officer has served a term as president, they are ineligible to serve in any other electable offices, but may be elected to serve as a Director. In order to be eligible to run for President of AQHYA, a member must have previously served at least one year as an AQHYA Director or Officer. The president shall have such other and further duties and authority as may be prescribed elsewhere in this constitution or from time to time by the Board of Delegates. The president will also serve as the Executive Committee regional representative of the region(s) from which he/she was elected. The president will serve on the Youth Activities Committee for two years; as president of AQHYA and as immediate past president.
- Vice President: The vice president shall, in the absence, disability or inability to act of the president, perform the duties and exercise the powers of the president, and shall perform such other duties as the president shall prescribe from time to time. The vice president will also serve as the Executive Committee regional representative of the region(s) from which he/she was elected.
- Secretary: The secretary shall attend all meetings of the -members and of the Board of Delegates, and shall record or cause to be recorded all votes taken and the minutes of all proceedings in a minute book of AQHYA to be kept for that purpose. He or she shall perform like duties for the committees when requested to do so. The secretary shall have the principal responsibility to give or cause to be given notice of all meetings of the Board of Delegates and the members, but this shall not lessen the authority of others to give such notice as provided in this constitution. The secretary shall maintain communication between the Executive Committee and the AQHA Senior Manager of Youth Activities. The secretary will also serve as the Executive Committee regional representative of the region(s) from which he/she was elected.
- Treasurer: The treasurer shall have the responsibility of examining the financial need of specific projects and needs of AQHYA, and reporting those costs to the Board of Delegates. He or she shall be made aware of the continuing status of membership growth and corresponding payment of dues. The treasurer will also serve as the Executive Committee regional representative of the region(s) from which he/she was elected.
- Sentinel: The sentinel shall have the responsibility of maintaining order at all meetings of the Executive Committee and the Board of Delegates in accordance with parliamentary procedure, in addition to preparing meeting rooms and facilities for the meetings of the Executive Committee and the Board of Delegates. The sentinel may also be required to fill those duties that may from time to time be prescribed by the president. The sentinel will also be responsible for compiling an annual scrapbook for AQHYA. In addition, the sentinel will serve as the Executive Committee regional representative of the region(s) from which he/she was elected.
- Immediate Past President: The immediate past president is not an electable office and can only be occupied for a one-year term by the previous year's AQHYA president. The immediate past president will not serve on the AQHYA Executive Committee but shall have the responsibility of serving a one-year term on the youth activities committee and assist as a mentoring liaison between the AQHYA Executive Committee and the AQHA Youth Activities Committee.
- AQHYA Director: Annually, three Directors shall be elected by the delegates of each designated region at a regular annual meeting of delegates. The duties of an AQHYA Director are to enhance communication and serve as liaison between AQHYA membership of the particular region and the AQHYA Executive Committee. The candidate for AQHYA Director of a particular region must be a delegate from their affiliate; actually reside within the region; be of a minimum age of 14 years; together with such other qualifications as the AQHYA Executive Committee may, from time to time, designate. The candidate must also remain eligible for AQHYA membership and a member in good standing for the duration of their term. (A youth director can not turn 19 before January 1 during the term in which they are serving.)
- Vacancies of Elective Offices: All vacancies in the elective offices of the organization shall be filled by the Executive Committee from the Board of Delegates for the unexpired term, and those so appointed shall serve until the election and acceptance of their duly qualified successors. If the immediate past president is vacated for any reason, that office shall remain vacant until the next year's officers are elected.
Section 5: AQHYA Executive Committee: The AQHYA Executive Committee of the organization shall consist of the president, vice president, secretary, treasurer and sentinel, elected by the Board of Delegates at its annual meeting. The delegates of each of the 11 regions of the organization shall annually elect 33 AQHYA Directors. Those directors who have previously served one term as an AQHYA Director shall be eligible for election as an AQHYA Officer Candidate. They may be eligible to become a member of the AQHYA Executive Committee when approved by the Advisory Board of the Organization. Such representative shall be certified in writing by the delegates who elected this regional representative.
- Meetings of the AQHYA Executive Committee: The AQHYA Executive Committee shall meet whenever and wherever called by direction of the president or three members of the committee acting jointly, of which meeting the secretary shall give 10 days written notice, but such notice may be waived by any member.
- Powers of the AQHYA Executive Committee: All powers of the Board of Delegates are hereby vested in the AQHYA Executive Committee.
- Quorum: The quorum of the AQHYA Executive Committee shall be three members.
- During the interim between annual meetings, or special meetings, of the Board of Delegates, the AQHYA Executive Committee is empowered to direct the affairs of the organization.