SHW553. RANCH RIDING - Ranch riding and ranch trail will be shown back to back. Each exhibitor will perform the trail obstacle course and then immediately perform the ranch riding pattern along perimeter of arena or in the vicinity of the ranch trail obstacles if the ranch trail course is set outside of arena. The suggested ranch riding pattern may be used or another pattern may be drawn as long as all elements of the class are fulfilled. The ranch riding class shows the horse's ability to move at a working speed with a rider.
SHW553.1 Horses will be shown individually at three gaits - walk, trot and lope - in each direction of the arena.
SHW553.2 Horses will also be asked to reverse away from the rail, to stop and back.
SHW553.3 The judge must ask for an extended trot and extended lope at least one direction of the ring.
SH2553.4 Judges are encouraged to work exhibitors thoroughly, if time permits.
SHW553.5 Allow pleasure pattern signs to be permitted in the pleasure/trail combined classes.
SUGGESTED VERSATILITY RANCH RIDING PATTERN
- Walk from start cone to cone A.
- Jog from A to B.
- Extend the jog from B to C.
- Lope on the right lead from C to D.
- Extend the lope from D to B.
- Stop at B, turn and jog to A.
- Lope on the left lead from A to E.
- Turn toward the middle of the arena and continue to lope to F.
- Walk from F to G.
- Stop and back approximately one horse length.
(Realizing trail course is set in arena, ranch riding pattern can be adjusted to fit arena conditions)