For two weeks in November, Oklahoma City is the place to be for world-class equine performances, top-notch western shopping and memory-making experiences.
Competition kicks off at the 2012 Bank of America Amateur and FedEx Open American Quarter Horse Association World Championship Show on Friday, November 2, at State Fair Park. There is more fun to be had than just in the show pen – you won’t want to miss the AQHA World Show special events and demonstrations.
• Nutrena Ride the Rail/Ride the Pattern: Find out how the AQHA Professional Horsemen would Ride the Rail/Ride the Pattern at the World Show. Demonstrations in hunt seat equitation, horsemanship, western pleasure, hunter under saddle and showmanship will be offered. For a full list of the free clinics, plus the list of AQHA Professional Horsemen teaching them, check out the tentative show schedule.
• Cowboy Mounted Shooting Demonstration: Step back in time to the Wild West as members of the Cowboy Mounted Shooting Association demonstrate their skills with revolvers and rifles in this fast-action timed event. A course is set up with balloons as targets, and cowboys and cowgirls fire blank ammunition at the balloons from aboard their trusty American Quarter Horses. The exhibition will take place during the finals on Saturday, November 3, in the Jim Norick Arena.
• Barn Party featuring Zac Wilkerson: Join AQHA staff and World Show competitors at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, November 5, at the Barn Party in the Super Barn Arena. Enjoy great company while listening to the band, Zac Wilkerson. The Barn Party is sponsored by the Oklahoma City Convention and Visitors Bureau.
• Trade Show Reception: Before heading to the evening finals performances on November 8, stop by the Trade Show Reception. The reception will be held in the Travel and Transportation building and Cox Pavilion from 4:30-6 p.m.
• Pat Parelli Performance: AQHA Professional Horseman and renowned clinician Pat Parelli and son Caton will perform a special demonstration at 7 p.m. on Friday, November 9, in the Jim Norick Arena. The Parellis travel the county performing clinics on natural horsemanship. The father-son team will join us to showcase the benefits of therapeutic horsemanship and the positive impact it’s had on people’s lives.
• Santa at the Trade Show: Tell Santa exactly what you want for this Christmas from 2-3 p.m. in the Cox Pavilion and 4-5 p.m. in the Travel and Transportation building on Saturday, November 10.
• Freestyle Reining Performance: Come watch a night filled with the best reining in the world on Saturday, November 10, in the Jim Norick Arena. Be entertained by amazing freestyle reining routines performed by some of the National Reining Horse Association’s best. The freestyle reining is sponsored by the National Reining Horse Association.
• AQHA World Championship Show Sale: Some of the industry's leading producers and performers will sell at 10 a.m. on Sunday, November 11, at the AQHA World Championship Show Sale in the Performance Arena. For horse enthusiasts looking for their next AQHA world show prospect, the World Show Sale is the perfect place to find their next dream horse. Bidders also have a chance to watch the consigned horses in the sale preview at 1 p.m. on November 10 in the Performance Arena. To learn more about the 2012 World Show Sale, and to view a list of consigned horses in the free online catalog, visit www.aqha.com/horsesale.
• Honoring Our Heroes: To celebrate Veterans Day, AQHA will honor veterans during an all-day patriotic tribute. Show your support for our veterans and troops by wearing red and picking up a flag button at the Quarter Horse Outfitters booth in the trade show. Special videos and patriotic music will play throughout the day in honor of those who have served our country. All military personnel and their spouses will receive free general admission to the show with a military ID on November 11.
• Farnam Superhorse Preview and Barn Party: On November 11, make your way to the Super Barn. Enjoy hors d’oeuvres and drinks while you’re treated to the Farnam Superhorse preview during the exhibitor appreciation party, sponsored by AQHA Corporate Partner Tractor Supply Co. and The American Quarter Horse Journal.
• Bricktown Day: AQHA is bringing Bricktown to you at State Fair Park on November 12. Come for a fun evening and experience the best of what Bricktown has to offer.
• Pink Out! On November 13, AQHA will salute the horsemen and -women who have fought a battle with cancer. Please join us by wearing pink to show your support for cancer survivors and pay tribute to loved ones who have lost the battle with cancer. Take aim at cancer during the night finals by purchasing a Pink Out frisbee. The person with the best aim will win a 100x hat donated by Shorty’s Caboy Hattery. Donations and proceeds collected will be donated to the Shirley Bowman Nutrition Center at Oklahoma University’s Stephenson Cancer Center.
• Team Wrangler Night: Get ready to cheer on your favorite team of AQHA Professional Horsemen and -women as they are recognized for their achievements as members of Team Wrangler on November 14. Don’t miss out on the ever-popular Team Wrangler T-shirt toss and the introductions of the new 2012-2013 team members.
• AQHA Collegiate Horsemanship Challenge: Pull out your favorite school's colors and come ready to cheer for the best collegiate horsemanship riders in the country in the first-ever AQHA Collegiate Horsemanship Challenge. The Challenge prelims will take place on Wednesday, November 14, following the junior western pleasure prelims in the Performance Arena. Eight student-athletes from the National Collegiate Equestrian Association and eight from the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association will battle it out for four spots in the Thursday night finals, which kick off at 7 p.m. Watch the nation's leading collegiate horsemanship riders compete on borrowed horses – with only four minutes of warm-up time – for the title of the first-ever AQHA Collegiate Horsemanship Challenge champion.
• Trick Roping Performance: Come and enjoy a night of entertainment on Friday, November 16, as the famous Daniel Castro performs his Mexican Folklore Show. Cheer on Daniel and his American Quarter Horse, Chic Lets, as they showcase an unforgettable trick roping and equine performance. Lasso in all your AQHA friends and fans because this is a performance you won’t want to miss.