The 2009 Intercollegiate Horse Show Association Nationals were held April 23-26 at Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
The University of Findlay, Ohio, took the AQHA Trophy western team title in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, home of QuarterFest: A celebration of America's Horse. Ohio State University came in a close second.
Jennifer Nagel of the State University of New York won the AQHA high-point western rider championship with Findlay’s Katelyn Morehead taking the reserve.
It’s the 30th anniversary of AQHA’s sponsorship of the western division at IHSA’s national competition.
IHSA would not enjoy the success it has today without the support of some fabulously knowledgeable horsemen and women. AQHA's Borrow a Trainer report will help give you the tools you need to become fabulously knowledgeable yourself. It's packed with valuable information from the industry's top trainers.
“When western started in 1979, AQHA was the first organization we went to, and they have stayed with us ever since,” said Bob Cacchione, Executive Director of IHSA. “They’ve grown with us along the way.”
In the English competition, Centenary College of New Jersey took the Collegiate Cup hunter seat team win, and the school’s Lindsay Clark captured the USEF/Cacchione Cup individual rider title.
Complete Team Results
AQHA Trophy Western Team
1. University of Findlay, Ohio – 25 points
2. Ohio State University, Ohio – 21 points
2. Oregon State University, Oregon – 21 points
3. Black Hawk College, Illinois – 17 points
4. St. Andrews Presbyterian College, North Carolina – 15 points
5. West Texas A&M University, Texas – 13 points
5. Berry College, Georgia – 13 points
AQHA High-Point Western Rider
Champion – Jennifer Nagel, State University of New York at Oswego, New York
Reserve Champion – Katelyn Morehead, University of Findlay, Ohio
AQHA All-Around High-Point Rider (western and hunt seat)
Spencer Zimmerman, University of Findlay, Ohio
Individual Intermediate Western Horsemanship - 1st place
Individual Walk-Trot Hunt Seat Equitation - 8th place
Collegiate Cup Hunter Seat Team
1. Centenary College, New Jersey – 24 points
2. University of Kentucky, Kentucky – 18 points
3. Virginia Intermont College, Virginia – 16 points
3. Stanford University, California - 16 points
4. Skidmore College, New York – 14 points
4. College of Charleston, South Carolina – 14 points
5. University of Findlay, Ohio – 13 points
USEF/Cacchione Cup Rider
Champion – Lindsay Clark, Centenary College, New Jersey
Reserve Champion – Elizabeth Giliberti, Brown University, Rhode Island
#2: Clinics Galore! QuarterFest will feature clinics all three days from talented horsemen and women: Bob Avila, Julie Goodnight, Curt and Tammy Pate, Jeff Griffith, Christy Landwehr and Bo Winslow. It is truly your chance to soak in the knowledge and become a more educated horseperson. Plus, have tons of fun while doing it!