Apply for Ranching Awards by November 30
Apply for Ranching Awards by November 30
The American Quarter Horse Association honors ranches that raise outstanding ranch horses and whose horses have made contributions to the heritage of the American Quarter Horse by awarding the AQHA Best Remuda and International Best Remuda, Ranching Heritage Breeder of the Year and RHB Top Production Sale awards. The deadline to apply or nominate for each of these awards is November 30 each year.
AQHA Best Remuda Award
Applicants for the AQHA Best Remuda Award must be a ranch that owns five or more registered American Quarter Horse mares used to produce horses for ranch work, breed and register at least five foals annually, and be a member in good standing of AQHA. Applicants from the United States must be an AQHA Ranching Heritage Breeder. International applicants are highly encouraged to be a Ranching Heritage Breeder. Previous recipients may not reapply; however, previous applicants are encouraged to reapply. To apply for these awards, download the U.S. nomination and application or the international application.
The Best Remuda Award made its debut in 1992 when Haythorn Land & Cattle Co. of Arthur, Nebraska, took home the honor. Since the award's inception, more than 25 ranches have been recognized for their efforts in raising American Quarter Horses. The inaugural International Best Remuda Award was presented in 2018 to La Media Suerte of Salto, Uruguay. View the previous winners.
AQHA Ranching Heritage Breeder of the Year
The American Quarter Horse Association honors working cattle ranches that produce five or more registered American Quarter Horses each year for ranch work by awarding the AQHA Ranching Heritage Breeder of the Year award.
The award, which is presented by the American Quarter Horse Association and the AQHA Ranching Committee, recognizes an AQHA Ranching Heritage Breeder who upholds the ranching tradition by breeding and raising the ranch-type horse, which remains at the core of the Association and epitomizes the breed’s versatility.
Ranching Heritage Breeders cannot nominate themselves. Only current Ranching Heritage Breeders can nominate a fellow Ranching Heritage Breeder member and only an AQHA Ranching Heritage Breeder is eligible to receive the award. Current members of the AQHA Ranching Committee and past AQHA Best Remuda winners are not eligible. To nominate an AQHA Ranching Heritage Breeder for this award, download the Ranching Heritage Breeder of the Year nomination form.
Nominations will be judged on:
• History of the ranch – family owned and operated, and involvement.
• Participation as an AQHA Ranching Heritage Breeder.
• Contributions to AQHA – AQHA membership history, current member of Ranching Heritage Breeders, consecutive and/or cumulative breeder awards.
• Animal Welfare – supports AQHA’s animal welfare statements, with regard to low-stress and humane handling/training techniques.
• Marketing Innovativeness – website for marketing, production sales, presence on social media.
• Cattle Association Involvement – membership/participation in regional, state/provincial or national cattle organizations, awards earned.
The AQHA Ranching Heritage Breeder of the Year Award recognizes an outstanding family owned and family daily-managed cattle ranch that embodies the spirit of the Ranching Heritage Breeder program, which includes the promotion of the ranching way of life in addition to producing top-quality ranch horses. View the previous award winners.
AQHA RHB Top Production Sale Award
The AQHA RHB Top Production Sale Award recognizes ranchers who have been producing quality horses and their dedication to promoting the breed.
• Sale must consist of registered American Quarter Horses.
• A minimum of 75% of the consignors to the sale must be AQHA Ranching Heritage Breeders and/or a minimum of 75% of the horses must be Ranching Heritage-bred.
• Applicant must be an AQHA member in good standing and Ranching Heritage Breeder.
• Sale must be in existence since 2016 or prior.