How To Register Your AQHA Foal
How To Register Your AQHA Foal
Everyone loves American Quarter Horse foals.
But it takes a lot more than a sire and dam to get a foal registration in the works. One of our most frequently asked questions by AQHA members is, “How do I register my foal?”
Every year, AQHA mails out a pre-printed registration application (also called a breeder’s certificate) to every stallion owner who files a stallion breeding report. This application will contain pertinent information such as the sire and dam’s information, mare and stallion owner’s name and address, and the breeding dates. It’s up to you, the proud owner of a new foal, to fill in the rest.
But what if you don’t have a pre-printed application? AQHA has a blank registration application available for download. This is the same form, but you have to fill in all the information that would already be filled in on a pre-printed version.
Now you need to ask yourself a few questions:
- Is my foal name choice available?
- Does my foal need to be parentage verified, HYPP tested or do I want to have the entire 5-panel genetic test done?
- Do I have the proper markings or photos of the foal?
- Do I have all the signatures I need to get my foal registered?
Once you have all of these basic things covered, you can ship the registration application off to AQHA with the peace of mind that it will probably go processed without a hitch!
If an AQHA foal registration isn’t something you do every day, it can get a little confusing. And there are a lot of scenarios that can come into play when registering your foal. Not all registrations are the same, and depending on several factors, there are some additional things you may need to do.
AQHA Customer Care is available via phone and email to conduct any necessary research for you. If you're missing a signature or other pertinent information, submit your application anyway, and AQHA will attempt to contact the appropriate people for you to acquire the necessary information.
Read up on AQHA registration rules in the AQHA Official Handbook of Rules and Regulations.
You’ll save $5 on your foal’s registration fee, if you register it online, and online registration applications are given priority over those that are mailed to AQHA. Here is a quick list of the information you will need to register your foal online. Make sure you have created an account using a username and password and that your AQHA membership ID is linked to your account. Once you are signed in, click on Members in the top right on AQHA.com. Click on Registration under Ownership to begin!
- Link your membership as the owner of the dam at time of foaling or owner of the foal at time of breeding if the foal was the result of embryo transfer.
- Date foaled.
- Breeding method, including embryo transfer date and number, if applicable.
- You can still register a foal without a stallion breeding report filed. If you own the stallion, you can file your stallion breeding report online. If someone else owns the stallion, you can enter the breeding details, and we will contact the stallion owner to file the report.
- Dam's name and/or registration number and the name and/or registration number of the stallion she was bred to.
- Five photos will be required for online registration. You can also scan the markings diagram for reference.
- Foal name choices.
- Signed breeder's certificate from the stallion owner, unless the stallion owner released the breeding online.
- For transfers included with online registration: date of sale and buyer's information (name, AQHA ID number, address, phone number and email address).
Once all the information is entered, add it to your shopping cart, using the promo code ONLINEREG, and enter your payment method to submit the registration for processing.