PRCA Names AQHA Horses of the Year
The top American Quarter Horses from the 2014 season are recognized by the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association.
October 17, 2014
The Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association named the winners of the 2014 AQHA Horses of the Year awards. Three horses were chosen in each of the six categories, and it was a championship class made special by the number of newcomers – there were five horses that were first-time winners.
Steer roping horse Olee Roberto (aka "Major"), owned by Thomas Snedecor of Needville, Texas, and ridden by his son, Scott, is the only repeat winner. A year ago, Major tied for the top spot with Dan Fisher's Larneds Ricoche Doc ("Woody"), and this time Major won the award outright.
Each owner of the winning team roping horses celebrated their second victories. This is the second consecutive win for team roping header Brandon Beers of Powell Butte, Oregon. His horse, Lucys Fast Jewel ("Jewel"), finished on top of the standings last year, and Beers was No. 1 again this year with El Tevo Cash ("Tevo").
Team roping heeler Brady Minor also claimed his second win. CDs Quixote ("Dugout") was first in the 2011 balloting, and Minor came back this year with fittingly named Rey Shines On Top ("Rey").
Hunter Herrin's win with Rambo ended a five-year run in which the tie-down roping award had gone to either Sid Miller's Big Smokin Wonder (aka "Pearl", 2009, 2013) or Eightys Sport ("Sweetness," 2010-12).
Here are the full results of each event:
- El Tevo Cash ("Tevo"), owned by Brandon Beers of Powell Butte, Oregon; 2001 brown gelding (Whiskey Ike HK-Have Your Cash by Cash N Balance); bred by Tee and Jacque Woolman of Llano, Texas
- Hickory Quick Bar ("Patron"), owned by Chuck and Charly Crawford of Prineville, Oregon; 2001 sorrel gelding (SR Quick Hickory-Royal Gyp Bar by Royal Santari); bred by William F. Hill of Klamath Falls, Oregon
- My Frosty Cocoa ("Dolly"), owned by Dustin Bird of Cut Bank, Montana; 1999 bay mare (Skid Frost-Sissy Truck by Texas Truck); bred by Jim Welsh of Cave Creek, Arizona
- Rey Shines On Top ("Rey"), owned by Brady Minor of Ellensburg, Washington; 2004 chestnut gelding (Shiners Rey Lena-Kings Sly Sugar by Kings Zantanon); bred by Margie Denton of Prineville, Oregon
- CD Starbucks ("Starbucks"), owned by Ryan Motes of Weatherford, Texas; 1998 sorrel gelding (CD Olena-Cari Me Starlight by Grays Starlight); bred by Danny Connelly Motes of Weatherford, Texas
- Zans Colonel Shine ("Colonel"), owned by Jake or Tasha Long of Morgan Mill, Texas; 2004 sorrel gelding (Zans Diamond Shine-Foxy Angelo by Col J Jigger); bred by Dennis Schroeder of Freedom, Oklahoma
- Dualin Demon ("Rambo"), owned by Hunter Herrin of Apache, Oklahoma; 2003 chestnut gelding (Dualin Hagan-Miss Chancy Dude by Chancy Dude); bred by Donald Nohavitza of El Campo, Texas
- Eatin With Rooster ("Chicken"), owned by Marty Yates of Stephenville, Texas; 2006 sorrel gelding (Rooster O Grady-Eatin Outa Oak by Eatin Out); bred by Michael Parker of Texarkana, Texas
- Big Smokin Wonder ("Pearl"), owned by Sid Miller of Stephenville, Texas; 1997 sorrel mare (Big As I Am-Lucky Smokin Jade by Lucky Captain Jess); bred by J and D Quarter Horse Farm (Jean Purdy) of Hico, Texas
- Olee Roberto ("Major"), owned by Thomas Snedecor of Needville, Texas; 2001 sorrel gelding (Les Olee Glo-Roberto Liz by Roberto Dan); bred by Hilmar G. Moore of Richmond, Texas
- DW Zans Dude ("Dude"), owned by Tony and Kelly Reina of Wharton, Texas; 1997 sorrel gelding (Lightnins Parr Bar-DW Matilda by Skippa Two Star); bred by Diamond W Inc. of Welsh, Louisiana
- Weavers Diamond Bar ("Rowdy"), owned by Timothy Tillard of Douglas, Wyoming; 1999 dun gelding (Diamonds Cutter-Roan Bar Maid by Roan Bar Dandy); bred by Stan Weaver of Big Sandy, Montana
1. Landrys Cadillac ("Cadillac"), owned by Frank Sterling Wallace of Justin, Texas; 1998 sorrel gelding (Skip Me Dandy-Bayou Peppy Gal by Bayou Sugar Bar); bred by Jared N. Dirickson of Elk City, Oklahoma
2/3. Last Call Hall ("Earl"), owned by Trevor Knowles of Mount Vernon, Oregon; 1996 sorrel gelding (Deregulate-Bobs Little Dream by Think Rich Bobby); bred by Sherman and Diane Mansfield of Idaho Falls, Idaho
2/3. Say Rey Doc ("Doc"), owned by Tom Duvall of Henryetta, Oklahoma; 2001 brown stallion (Tivito Sonny Rey-Say Easy Bug by Easy Gigolo); bred by Emmit J. Duvall of Henryetta, Oklahoma
- Wonders Cowboy Dan ("Cowboy"), owned by H.Q. Bass of Davenport, Florida; 2000 gray gelding (Wonders Pal-Jackies Cowgirl Bar by Cowboy Dans Bar); bred by Se'Belle S. Dymmek of Kissimmee, Florida
- Dasher Dude ("Rootie"), owned by Britany Jo Diaz of Solen, North Dakota; 2000 black mare (Texas High Dasher-April Dell Dude by Poco Dell Dude); bred by Leslie and Joanne Roth of Glen Ullin, North Dakota
- Guys Six Pack To Go ("Six Pack"), owned by Kathleen Collier of Hereford, Texas; 2005 gray gelding (Frenchmans Guy-Scatter The Stars by Packin Sixes); bred by Shannon Renee Akerstorm of Potter Valley, California
Look for the PRCA-AQHA Horses of the Year to be featured in the December issue of America's Horse, the exclusive magazine for AQHA members. Renew your AQHA membership today to be certain you'll receive this in-depth feature on rodeo's best athletes.