Region Eight Championship: June 20
Merial Region Eight Championship keeps up the tradition of offering a good selection of AQHA Equestrians With Disabilities classes.
By AQHA Publications Intern Nicki Csenge | June 19, 2015
Another big part of the Merial AQHA Region Eight Championships is the broad selection of AQHA Equestrians With Disabilities classes that are offered. The show included supported, walk/trot and walk/trot/canter English classes, as well as reining, showmanship, horsemanship, trail and western pleasure classes.
AQHA Publications Intern Nicki Csenge talked to EWD exhibitors Kristi Sanderlin and Stacey Johnson about their experiences at the show. Watch her interview with them below.
With more than 3,000 entries, the organizing committee knew they were going to have some long days. That's why when they were partially through the ranch riding classes on Day 2 of the 2015 event in Amarillo and it was supper time, they decided to move the show's reining classes from Day 2, June 19, to the morning of Day 3, June 20, and bring in three more judges.
So, Day 3 started off with all of the halter and showmanship classes in the Bill Cody Arena and reining in the Amarillo National Center.
"People pay a lot to show and we didn't want them to show to a group of tired judges at 2 in the morning," said Committee Chairman Mark Guynn of Colorado. "So, we called in three reining judges - two who were local and one who was at the show with a showmanship client - to judge reining on Saturday. They didn't hesitate to say, 'Yes.' It takes a team to do this and we appreciate everyone stepping in and up to get this done.
Journal Coverage of the 2015 Region Eight Championship
- All-Around Winners – Region Eight awards buckles to four all-around exhibitors at the 2015 Merial AQHA Region Eight Championship.
- June 21 – Emily Rollison grew up showing in AQHA, then took a break for school. She's back now with a filly out of her old show mare.
- June 20 – The Merial Region Eight Championship keeps up the tradition of offering a good selection of AQHA Equestrians With Disabilities classes.
- June 19 – Day 2 of the 2015 Merial Region Eight Championship began with roping, included working cow horse boxing and ranch riding, and concluded with reining.
- June 18 – The Merial AQHA Region Eight Championship boasts 3,000 entries at 2015 show in Amarillo, Texas.