Become a Judge
Become a Judge
American Quarter Horse judges are held to the highest quality of standards. Apply to be an AQHA-approved judge and help improve the quality and welfare of registered horses in AQHA-approved competition.
The following criteria must be met before becoming an AQHA approved judge:
- Have individual, current-year AQHA membership and be a member in good standing.
- Be at least 25 years of age, mandatory retirement 75.
- Each applicant's name must appear in at least one issue of The American Quarter Horse Journal prior to review by the Judges Committee.
- Undergo review by AQHA Judges State Selection Committee.
- Receive approval from AQHA Judges Committee.
- Receive approval from AQHA Executive Committee.
- Receive notification from AQHA that applicant may attend the next Judges Qualifying Exam.
- Pass final review and approval by Judges Committee and Executive Committee.
- Attend seminars during the first year placed on approved judges list.
A complete list of mandatory criteria is included in the judges application form.
Types of AQHA Judges
AQHA has two unique types of judging positions. Click to download applications:
- AQHA All-Around Judge -- These judges are approved to judge any AQHA-approved event.
- AQHA Specialized Judge -- These judges specialize in specific areas, including: cutting, reining, roping, over fence, team penning, speed events, dressage, halter, cowboy mounted shooting and Level 1.
All-Around Judge Applicants
Specialized Judge Applicants