It's easy to make minor changes to your horse's AQHA Registration Certificate.
August 7, 2017
It can take up to a year for a horse to completely shed out to determine the color; however, we encourage you to go ahead and submit your foal's AQHA registration application to avoid late fees. Your foal's color can be changed on its papers later if you might have guessed incorrectly.
AQHA is happy to correct many changes to your horse's registration certificate. Corrections can be made to a certificate free of charge within the first 12 months of your horse's age or 6 months of the issue date of the certificate, whichever gives you the most time. If corrections are not submitted within this time frame, a Corrected Certificate must be provided. All corrections must be submitted by the current recorded owner.
Here are the corrections AQHA makes for our members, free of charge (within the above times; after time, the correction fee assessed):
- stallion to gelding
- Adding scars or brands
Read on for the scoop on the free AQHA certificate corrections listed above. In all instances, we require your horse's original certificate so we can notate the correction.
Your horse has been branded:
- Send the Corrected Certificate form including location and written description.
- Tell AQHA whether the brand is a freeze or fire brand.
Markings or scar (that white hair has not grown in place of):
- Send the Corrected Certificate form to AQHA with the marking(s) correction or shape of the scar.
- Photo of the marking or scar
- Four full view color photos are required if correcting the markings.
Your horse has been gelded or sex change correction:
- Send a statement to AQHA denoting the sex change.
- Include the date gelded (if known).
- Four full view photos are required to update the color.
- Corrected Certificate Form.
Foaling month or day:
- Written statement of correct month and/or day of foaling (if this affects fees, it’s considered a re-registration).
Date of transfer:
- We need a signed statement from the buyer and seller indicating the correct transfer date.
You'll need to provide AQHA with the $15 correction fee, photos and a Corrected Certificate for the following corrections:
- Gender (for example, gelding to stallion)
- Changing owner at time of foaling (this is treated as a re-registration with a $50 fee)
- Breeding Dates
- Sire or dam (this is treated as a re-registration with a $50 fee)
All corrections can be mailed to:
American Quarter Horse Association
1600 Quarter Horse Drive
Amarillo, TX 79104
A horse name change is a separate process and requires the Horse Name Change form, Original Certificate of Registration and $55 fee, if the horse meets the qualifications for a name change.
Cutting it close to the 1 year birth date or 6-month issue date deadline? Feel free to fax your information to 806-349-6407 or email it to email@example.com. This will hold your correction on the date it is received, and you can send your certificate by mail. Photos are best sent by mail or email.
We're always here to help. Give us a call at 806-376-4811, or use our contact form.