Fly Control Management Guide
Use this Horse Fly Control Management Guide from AQHA Corporate Partner Farnam to keep your horses protected against flies this summer.
May 18, 2011
From AQHA Corporate Partner Farnam
Why Fight Flies?
Fly control keeps your horse comfortable. But that’s not the only reason to minimize flies. Flies and other biting insects pose a major health risk to your horse and you. Flies carry a number of dangerous diseases that become more of a problem as fly populations increase. Flies live, feed and breed in filth, where germs, bacteria and communicable diseases thrive. Good hygiene is critical to keeping flies and other filthy problems under control.
Start with a Strategy
Start your fly control program early to keep fly populations down all season. It’s easier and more economical to prevent a heavy fly build-up than to fight it.
Effective fly control means eliminating flies on all fronts, at all stages in the fly life cycle. Eliminating immature flies reduces the number of biting, breeding adult flies you have to deal with.
No single fly product will solve your fly control problem. You need an overall plan to get rid of flies where they live, feed and breed. For maximum effectiveness, attack flies on all fronts: on your horse, in the barn and around outdoor areas.
On Your Horse
The final line of defense against flies is on your horse. Farnam provides a proven, effective lineup of sprays, spot-ons, lotions, roll-ons, ointments and masks to create a protective barrier between your horse and flying pests.
Protect Sensitive Areas
Ointments, lotions and roll-ons are formulated for use around sensitive areas and hard to reach areas to repel flies.
Help protect your horses against the EHV-1 virus by keeping them healthy. For a guide on common horse health issues, check out the Common Horse Health Issues report to help you better understand diseases and illnesses that horses can be faced with.
Spray Flies Away
Farnam offers a wide selection of hard-working, effective fly sprays to provide a variety of fly control solutions to meet your every fly control need.
- Endure® Sweat-Resistant Fly Spray provides up to 14 days fly control and keeps on working even in wet conditions.
- Tri-Tec 14™ Fly Repellent a water-based formula that delivers quick knockdown and long-lasting fly control – up to 14 days.
- Equisect™ Fly Repellent proven to outperform other natural fly sprays.
- Mosquito Halt® Repellent Spray provides quick knockdown and repellency wherever mosquitoes are a concern.
Concentrate on Extra Savings
Need to provide effective protection, plus stretch your budget? Concentrates are made just for you. Just add water to Repel-X®p Concentrate or Flysect® Super-C Repellent concentrate to create quarts of ready-to-use spray.
On Your Horse: Pastured Horses
Pastured horses need longer-lasting fly protection when you can’t spray them every day. Use a fly spray or a topical product with residual control to keep them comfortable for days.
Protect Against Ticks
Ticks are a vector of Lyme disease and other illnesses. Horses ridden through wooded areas or turned out to pasture are exposed to these nasty bloodsuckers. Read the label to make sure the fly spray or topical product you use protects your horse against ticks.
Indoor & Outdoor Areas
Proper fly control in the barn eliminates immature and adult flies. Because flies breed in manure and other moist, decaying organic matter, keep your barn as clean as possible. Products to use to control flies in the barn include feed-thru fly control products, premise sprays and sticky traps.
Eliminate fly breeding in outdoor areas by keeping areas clean and free of manure and other trash. Products for outdoor fly control include feed-thru fly control products, scatter baits and insecticide-free bag and jug traps.
Have you ever worried about issues with your horse's health? If so, Common Horse Health Issues is what you need. This report will help you understand the common health issues that horses face.
Feed-Thru Fly Control
Feed-thru fly control is an effective method of managing flies. Feed-thrus work by controlling flies in and around the barn as they stop flies from maturing into biting, breeding adults. They are highly successful when used in conjunction with conventional methods of fly control such as premise sprays and sticky tapes.
Fly masks are a very effective way to keep flies off your horse’s face and eyes. They shield face wounds and eye infections from disease-carrying insects to allow healing. Fly masks with ears protect your horse’s ears from flies, mosquitoes and gnats.
- NEW SuperMask® II Horse Fly Mask with Shimmer Weave™ Mesh: It’s the first fly mask to combine functional protection with high fashion! They come in a choice of colors and trim styles to accent your horse’s natural color. Built to fit, Built to last, Built to stay on!™
Premise sprays kill and repel flying insects in the stable and barn. Bronco®e fly spray is an effective, water-based formula that kills and repels flies, ticks, mosquitoes, lice, gnats, chiggers and fleas. It has a pleasant citronella scent and can be used directly on horses and in horse quarters.
Fly Control Management Tips
1. Keep it clean
- Dispose of fly breeding material including manure and used bedding
- If waste disposal is not possible, treat manure with an effective larvicide
- Keep paddocks and corrals clean and dry
- Scrub water buckets and troughs weekly
- Remove standing water which may serve as a mosquito breeding ground
2. Read the label
- Read all labels before use and heed warnings
- Mix concentrates with exact amount of water recommended
- Apply according to label directions
- Do not mix different fly repellents together
Fly Control Solutions
- Endure® Sweat-Resistant Fly Spray for Horses: Won’t sweat off! Protects against biting and nuisance flies, gnats, mosquitoes, deer ticks and lice.
- Bronco®e Equine Fly Spray Plus Citronella Scent: Insecticide & repellent for use on horses, ponies, foals and in horse barns and stables. Kills and repels flying insects in animal quarters including six fly species, gnats, mosquitoes, ticks, deer ticks, fleas, chiggers, and lice.
- Endure® Roll-On for Horses: Sweat-resistant formula, protects the horse’s face.
- Equicare Flysect® Super-7™ Repellent Spray: Immediate and residual control of flies, gnats, mosquitoes and ticks.
- Equisect™ Fly Repellent: A natural fly spray that really works!
- Equi-Spot® Spot-on Fly Control for Horses: Water and sweat resistant fly and tick control.
- Mosquito Halt® Repellent Spray for Horses: Quick knockdown, kill and repellency for immediate control of mosquitoes. Prevents blood-feeding by mosquitoes that may transmit West Nile Virus.
- Equicare Flysect® Super-C Repellent Concentrate: Economical concentrate controls flies, gnats, lice and mosquitoes.
- Repel-X® Insecticide & Repellent: A fly control favorite. Kills and repels: six fly species, ticks, gnats and mosquitoes.
- Wipe® II Brand Fly Spray with Citronella: Kills and repels flies, gnats, mosquitoes.
- Wipe® Original Formula Fly Protectant: Just wipe it on horses and ponies. Effective for hours! Kills ticks too!
- SimpliFly® with LarvaStop™: Clinically proven feed-thru fly control. Reduces Fly Populations 97-100%*
- Repel-X®P: Economical concentrate mixes with water. Kills and repels ticks!
- Tri-Tec 14™ Fly Repellent: Quick knockdown, long lasting protection. Up to 14 days fly control.
- SuperMask® II Horse Fly Mask: Built to fit, Built to last, Built to stay on!™ Horseproof doublelatch closure stablemates can’t rip off!
- SWAT® Fly Repellent Ointment: For horses & dogs.
* 97-100% effective for inhibiting the development of adult house flies and stable flies in manure of treated horses. Contains Dimilin® diflubenzuron manufactured by an affiliate of Crompton Sales Company, Inc. Dimilin is a registered trademark of Uniroyal Chemical Company, Inc., an affiliate of Crompton Sales Company, Inc.
Bronco, Built to fit, Built to last, Built to stay on!, Endure, Equi-Spot, the Equicare logo, Equisect, Farnam, the Farnam logo, Your Partner in Horse Care, Flysect, LarvaStop, LarvaStop Fly Growth Regulator, Mosquito Halt, Repel-X, Repelock, Shimmer Weave, Simplifly, Super-7, Supermask, Swat, Tri-Tec 14, and Wipe are trademarks of Farnam Companies, Inc.
©2010 Farnam Companies, Inc 300506670 10-0282