Prepare for Winter
Make sure you and your horse are ready for the cold months ahead.
November 10, 2009
From America's Horse
Winter can be a tough time for horses and horse owners alike. Make sure you’re ready for the coming cold months. Here are a few helpful tips to help keep you and your equine friend safe and happy this winter:
- Horses drink an average of 10-12 gallons of water per day. Fresh water should be available at all times. In the winter, if heated tanks are unavailable, ice should be broken several times a day. If a horse goes off feed, check his water. Horses will not eat if they are thirsty.
- A horse’s energy requirements increase by 1 percent for every degree below 16 F. Digesting forage creates more heat than digesting grain, so ample hay should be provided when conditions are harsh.
- If horses are on pasture, provide hay if the grass is low-quality or snow-covered.
- If a horse tends to lose weight in the winter, increasing his body condition score by one point could be beneficial. Monitor your horse in the fall and spring to establish your plan of action to maintain his winter BCS.
Your horse's health is important to you, and you want to make sure he's well taken care of no matter what. Learn all you can about the Potomac Fever with our FREE Potomac Horse Fever report.
- Always float teeth and deworm several weeks before winter.
- Exercise tends to be limited in the winter. Watch easy-keepers to make sure they don’t reach an unhealthy body condition score.
America’s Horse Cares
Now is the perfect time to make your gift to the American Quarter Horse Foundation. Not only will you benefit the people and horses served by the American Quarter Horse Foundation, and if your gift is completed by December 31, 2009, you will receive income tax relief. Visit the Foundation’s Web site and click Donate Today. You can also call 806-378-5029 to make a donation.
AQHF Gift Ideas
Need help finding that perfect Christmas gift? Don’t look any further than the
American Quarter Horse Foundation. We have the ideal gift for anyone and everyone on your list. Go to the Foundation’s Web site to make a gift in honor or memory of that special person or horse. If you make your gift by December 11, 2009, the Foundation will send a special holiday card to notify the honoree of your gift.