Eight Reasons Your Horse is Your Valentine
There’s no truer love than that between you and your American Quarter Horse.
By Holly Wilson, fall 2016 AQHA communications and digital marketing intern | February 9, 2017
It’s OK if your American Quarter Horse is your valentine every year. (Sorry, boyfriends).
There are so many qualities in your horse that make him the best. But if we had to narrow it down, there are a few that take the cake.
1. He’s always there for you. Complete with an attitude or not, your horse is always there when you need him. You can always depend on him to cheer you up with a good, furry hug or a day in the arena.
2. You’ve grown together. No matter how long you’ve been with your horse, you’ve learned things together. Whether it be learning a new discipline or that he is not a fan of plastic bags, these are all valuable lessons in the grand scheme.
3. You’ve become a more responsible person because of him. Being responsible for another life is a big undertaking, and your horse has helped develop you into the amazing horse-owner that you are. All of the days at the barn are worth it, but you already knew that.
4. He’s taught you to dust off and try again. There’s no use in pointing fingers – either you didn’t tell him right or he didn’t understand. What really counts is that you got back out there and tried again. Sometimes in life, there will be things that knock you down. The best thing you can do is prove to yourself that you can get back on and try harder.
5. Your dreams are bigger, because with a Quarter Horse beneath you, anything is possible. Not only has your horse taught you to try harder and aim higher, but he’s taught you that you can.
6. He needs you. Regardless of how independent you are, it’s nice to feel needed. Your horse depends on you, just like you depend on him.
7. You work just as hard for him as he does for you. You’ve gained a new appreciation for the term “hard work” since owning a horse. Scooping poop, cleaning waters, picking hooves… all in a day’s work. But it doesn’t exactly feel like that, though, because you love what you do.
8. He taught you what true love is. He might not get it right every time, but he sure loves you. And you love him, too. At the end of the day, he knows, #YouHoldMyHeart.