Delicious and Healthy Snacks for Equestrians
Take these treats to the barn for some healthy energy all day long.
By Holly Wilson, fall 2016 AQHA communications and digital marketing intern | January 19, 2017
As busy people, equestrians often have a hard time finding healthy (and delicious), portable snacks to take to the barn or enjoy at home.
This year, try making your own!
Easier than it sounds, some healthy snacks only require a few ingredients and can be made in bulk. That way, you can make one batch and be set for an entire week!
This can be especially helpful if you spend long days at the barn or out on the ranch. It’s important to keep your body going with healthy fuel.
- Peanut butter squares: Packed with protein and good calories, these peanut butter oat squares will keep your tummy full and your energy up all day long.
- Avocado fries: There are few people on this earth who can resist a good avocado, and these fries are no exception. The good fat and delicious taste will keep you coming back for more.
- Oatmeal cookies: A twist on a traditional oatmeal raisin cookie, this recipe calls for banana. A great way to add some extra potassium to your diet, plus it’s a filling afternoon snack.
- Granola bar bites: Everybody loves a little chocolate, and these granola bar bites aren’t lacking. This tasty treat will keep you going, even on your fifth horse.
- Sweet potato chips: Sweet potatoes are a healthy carb and give you the energy to keep going. Try these sweet potato chips as a healthy alternative to the bagged variety.
- Chocolate power bars: Dark chocolate is the best for you (sorry, milk chocolate lovers!); make dark chocolate that much better by adding some fruits and nuts. Try this easy DIY snack at home!
- Banana fudge: Did someone say fudge? This delicious recipe combines two of our favorite things, health and yummy snacks!
For more healthy snack ideas, follow AQHA on Pinterest.