Heading out on the Trail with Chief International Officer Anna Morrison
In her new blog, AQHA Chief International Officer Anna Morrison shares insight on the Association’s international department.
By Anna Morrison | April 18, 2017
It was an honor to be hired as your AQHA chief international officer in January 2017. As an Association, we are committed to being more transparent and connected to our members, especially our international members. It is important that the AQHA Executive Committee and the Association’s staff be able to effectively communicate with our breeders, exhibitors, racing enthusiasts, recreational riders and members from around the globe.
That said, I am excited to share my first blog post with you. We will also have guest bloggers each month to keep you up to date with all of the happenings outside of the United States, so continue to check back for the latest blog posts!
Portuguese for Horsemen
After three months on the job, I’m heading out for my fourth international trip of the year. Today I’m traveling south to Brazil, the largest country in South America and the fifth largest country in the world by land area and population, to attend the Congresso Brasileiro.
This event is one of Brazil’s three largest Quarter Horse shows and is hosted by our Brazilian AQHA affiliate, the Associação Brasileira de Criadores de Cavalo Quarto de Milha (ABQM). Brazil is home to more than 514,000 Quarter Horses and has a healthy show and race industry.
Another interesting fact about Brazil is that it is the only country in South America that speaks Portuguese. Because this is my first trip to Brazil (or Brasil in Portuguese), and I am not fluent in the native language, I thought it would be helpful to learn a few key phrases in Portuguese. I asked my friend and host, Heloisa Toledo Cinta, to help me with a list of phrases that might be important for a horseman who is traveling to Brazil for the first time. Here is what we came up with:
- Hi, how are you? Oi, como vai você?
- Where is the bathroom? Aonde é o banheiro?
- Thank you! Obrigado! (If you are a man.) Obrigada! (If you are a woman.)
- You’re welcome! De nada!
- That’s a nice horse! Que cavalo bonito!
- How is that horse bred? Qual o pedigree desse cavalo?
- Are you an AQHA member? Você é sócio da AQHA?
- Is that an American Quarter Horse? Este é um quarto de milha?
- Nice ride, cowboy/cowgirl! Aí sim, montou bem vaqueiro/vaqueira!
- Did you see that guy get bucked off? Você viu aquele cara que o cavalo pulou e ele caiu?
- Another caipirinha*, please! Outra caipirinha por favor!
If you ever make a trip to see our AQHA friends in Brazil, let us know if you were able to use any of these phrases!
*The caipirinha is Brazil’s national cocktail, made with cachaça, sugar and lime.