Why Raising Kids Around American Quarter Horses Is Great
Horseback riding teaches children countless lessons and instills long-lasting values.
By Shiley Blackwell, Summer 2016 Communications and Digital Marketing Intern | July 16, 2016
From barn chores to blue ribbon wins, American Quarter Horses have been teaching life lessons since the breed’s inception. Horse owners know the countless things horseback riding, mucking stalls and horse showing can teach you, and many parents raise their kids around horses because of this.
We were interested to know why you think raising children around American Quarter Horses is great. We posed the question on social media and gathered your answers here.
Learn even more life lessons with your American Quarter Horse by becoming an AQHA member. You’ll experience a variety of benefits, including access to the Horseback Riding Program and AQHA-approved horse shows.
“Raising kids around American Quarter Horses is great because ______________.”
Here are some of the top answers we received from our fans on social media:
- “It teaches them responsibility, not just with Quarter Horses but with any kind of horse or with any type of animal a family decides to have. But in our case, it is Quarter Horses, and they love them.” – Jessica Casas
- “It teaches them kindness, love, compassion and responsibility.” – Michele Kevorkian McBride
- “You learn respect for each other and, long-term, have a friendship that will last forever. You learn to look at the world in a different view when you grow up taking care of an animal as loving and caring as a horse.” – Kayla Towner
- “They (horses) teach them the greatest life lessons: Patience, persistence, love, dedication and loyalty.” – Heather Staley
- “Because they learn patience and respect.” – Paulina Lesniak
- “(It) teaches them responsibility, and life’s lesson of hard work plus dedication equals success. Being gracious when you win or lose is the name of the game, but most of all have fun!” – Bonnie McCulla
Become a member of AQHA and enjoy more opportunities to spend time with the breed you love and the people you love. Learn more about the programs AQHA offers and how your family can benefit.
- “A horse can teach a child to be responsible, to listen, to be compassionate, to love and to dream big.” – Sarah Smidt
- “We all get to be involved! Mom/Dad don’t have to sit on the sidelines like other kid’s sports.” – Chrissy ‘Uldinek’ Butler
- “It’s better to spend money on horses to keep them out of trouble when they’re kids, than on lawyers to get them out of trouble later when they’re older!” – Donna Casey
- “They learn to lead.” – James O’Brien
- “They understand horsemanship and partnership.” – Madison Currier
- “Tradition!” – Tracy Lynn