What are your goals with your American Quarter Horse this summer?
Here are some of the answers we received on AQHA and AQHYA social media accounts:
- “Log more miles for the (AQHA Horseback Riding) ride program!” – Heather Staley, Facebook
- “Get [my horse] ‘PJ’ far enough along for (The All American Quarter Horse) Congress and qualify for the Ohio State Fair.” – Sierra Bourdess, Instagram
- “Working and showing my new Quarter Horse and hopefully winning some blues!” – Christina, Instagram
- “My girl has a baby on her right now, but when she is weaned, I plan to ride, ride, ride!” – Sue Johnson, Facebook
- “This summer, I’d like to just have some quality fun with my horse. Get in as many shows as we can, go on trail rides often and make new friends.” – Victoria Salt, Instagram
- “Win a trophy!” – Afton Stone, Facebook
Are you and your horse ready for summer shows? Check out AQHA’s Borrow a Horse Trainer ebook to learn how to perfect your body position, read your horse and much more.
We loved hearing your responses and can’t wait for you to share your successes. In addition to working toward your goals, don’t forget to have some fun with your horse this summer, too! Here are five ways you can improve your horseback riding skills and make new friends.
Enjoy Summer With Your Horse
- 1. Attend a clinic
Take advantage of extra time by brushing up on your horsemanship skills. Attending a clinic can be beneficial for horses and riders of all abilities.
This summer, you can learn from AQHA Professional Horseman and Team Wrangler member Marty Simper at the Cross Country Trail Ride in Eminence, Missouri. Ranch riding and Trail Challenge clinics will be held, as well as competitions and organized trail rides.
Other AQHA Professional Horsemen will conduct clinics throughout the year, too. Keep your eyes open for events near you.
- 2. Compete at an AQHA-approved show
Many of AQHA’s prestigious events, such as the Built Ford Tough AQHYA World Championship Show and the AQHA Select World Championship Show, presented by Adequan® (polysulfated glycosaminoglycan), happen during the summer months. If you missed out on qualifying this year, get a head start for next year’s show by finding AQHA-approved shows near you. You can sharpen your skills, earn those much-needed points and make great friends along the way!
Start winning in the show pen this summer with advice from top trainers. AQHA’s Borrow a Horse Trainer ebook is packed with 46 pages of insight from six AQHA Professional Horsemen. Download it today!
- 3. Learn a new discipline
Get outside your comfort zone and try something new! Learning a different horseback riding event or discipline can greatly improve your horsemanship.
Seek out reputable riders in your area for help and watch your skills improve as you try something new.
- 4. Join the AQHA Horseback Riding Program
Since you’ll be spending so much time in the saddle, why not earn rewards for it? Enroll in the AQHA Horseback Riding Program and track your hours as you work toward your summer goals. Quarter Horse and All-Breeds divisions are offered, and you can earn awesome prizes by simply logging your horseback riding hours.
- 5. Participate in a Trail Challenge
AQHA Trail Challenges are a great way for riders of all skill levels to improve. A challenge typically has six to 16 obstacles, and a rider is judged on his ability to maneuver his horse through the course.
These events will be held all across the United States this summer. Find an upcoming AQHA Trail Challenge near you.