Halloween Treat Recipe
Who says people are the only ones who get treats on Halloween? Follow this recipe to make yummy goodies for your American Quarter Horse!
By Holly Wilson, fall 2016 AQHA communications and digital marketing intern | October 23, 2016
Halloween is the one night a week where it is socially acceptable to eat as many sweets as your heart desires. So, why not treat your four-legged friends to some, too?
Afraid you’ve fed your horse too much Halloween candy? Download the FREE Chubby Horses ebook from AQHA!
Follow this simple recipe by Brigid Goss to make horse treats that will have your ponies following you around for weeks.
- 1 ¼ cup steel cut oats
- ¾ cup molasses
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup flaxseed
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup apple or pear scraps, processed
- Mix molasses and oats, until oats are fully coated
- Gradually stir in flour, flaxseed and cornstarch until combined
- Fill muffin tins half full (heaping teaspoon if you’re using a small muffin tin)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes
- Press in peppermint candy and remove immediately
- Put treats in the fridge to cool and become firm
- Remove when cool and place peppermints on top
The FREE Chubby Horses ebook is here if you accidentally give your horse too many tasty treats!
And voila! You have the perfect semi-healthy snacks for your horses that’ll have them coming back for more.