What Do I Take?
Tips to help you have fun and stay safe horseback riding.
October 14, 2012
From America's Horse
If you and your horse-crazy friends are planning a trail ride, here’s a checklist of what you should wear and items you should take with you:
- Sun protection: Dress in layers and carry a slicker and extra socks in your saddlebag.
- Footwear: Wear boots, not sneakers.
Start logging your hours on your next trail ride with AQHA's Horseback Riding Program and earn rewards!
- Emergency equipment: Carry human and horse first-aid supplies in your saddlebag, as well as a hoof pick, a plastic hoof-shaped boot in case your horse throws a shoe, an elastic bandage, fly spray, sunscreen, bug repellant, cell phone, compass, knife, extra rope and ties.
- Keep the halter on your horse under the bridle, put the lead rope in your saddlebag or on your saddle.
- Red Ribbon: Tie this to your horse’s tail to alert other riders if your horse has a tendency to kick.
Join AQHA's Horseback Riding Program today and start earning awards for all of your trail riding hours!
With this checklist of trail ride must-haves, you’re sure to have a successful and fun adventure with your horse and friends.