A Proper Fit
Do you know what kind of halter is best for your horse?
September 8, 2009
Information from Tractor Supply Co.
Is it time for a new halter for your horse? Consider safety and comfort when choosing the perfect material and fit. When making or choosing a halter for your horse, proper fit makes all the difference.Whether using rope, nylon or leather, fit is crucial for your horse’s safety and comfort. Choose a halter for your horse based on size and activity.
- Sizes available are yearling, small, medium (regular), and large, and common sizing strategy and charts can be found online.
- Don’t choose a halter that is too tight and uncomfortable for your horse.
Do you know about all the benefits that go with being an American Quarter Horse Association member? Learn how you can get discounts from AQHA Corporate Partners, sign up for horseback riding programs and show your horse at AQHA shows by becoming an AQHA member.
- Cheek ring/ knots of the halter should fit about one finger’s width below the bottom of cheek bone.
- Noseband should fit about two inches below the bony point of the cheek.
- Always use a breakaway halter when trailering your horse. A breakaway halter is designed so that when it is put under pressure or stress by the horse, it will easily break to free the horse.
- It is recommended that halters be removed in stalls or pasture. However, if a horse must be haltered during those times, choose a breakaway halter for safety.
- Since horses use their rear hooves for scratching their necks and faces, a hoof could easily get caught in a halter. The design of the breakaway halter allows it to “break away” should a horse become caught up.
Tractor Supply Co. offers a variety of halter types and colors for your horse’s halter. After all, your horse should not only have a great-fitting halter, but a great-looking one, as well. TSC has a color and style to fit every horse and owner’s personality.
There are many benefits that come with being a member of the American Quarter Horse Association. Learn how you can get discounts with AQHA corporate partners, show at official AQHA events and enroll in horseback riding programs by becoming an AQHA member.
Find your nearest Tractor Supply Co., or shop online for horse supplies.