Surviving the World Show: Intern Edition
Heed the advice of the interns who have seen it all and lived to tell the tale.
By Holly Wilson and Alexis O'Boyle, fall 2016 AQHA interns | November 11, 2016
As Miguel de Cervantes once said, “To be prepared is half the victory.” This is especially true when it comes to the Lucas Oil AQHA World Championship Show. As the fall interns, we’ve seen a thing or two, especially with the Adequan® Select World Championship Show, which was held right in our own Amarillo backyard. But when we got to Oklahoma City, we quickly learned that we might have forgotten a few necessities. So, to keep you from sharing our mistakes, heed this list of 10 helpful goodies!
- Laundry detergent pods: Because who wants to pack 18 days worth of outfits when you can pack three? OK, maybe five. But in all seriousness, laundry detergent will help keep your packing light and your clothes fresh.
- Snacks: There’s nothing worse than feeling the familiar grumble in your tummy in between meals. Things like Chex-Mix and fruit cups are great sources of energy throughout the day when you need an extra kick to make it through.
- Fuzzy blanket: Our moms always told us to take a little piece of home with us wherever we go. But also, it’s handy if your roommate keeps the hotel room -12 degrees.
- Can-do attitude: The Lucas Oil World is more than two weeks long, and sometimes it can be hard to roll out of bed in the morning. But, no matter what, it’s always important to have a willing attitude for the day’s ventures!
- Camera: If it’s not pictured, did it really happen? #MillennialProblems
- Caffeine: Morning coffee, afternoon coffee, everytime-of-day coffee! It’ll keep you going when the going gets tough.
- Notepad: Have you ever tried to memorize a black-type pedigree? It isn’t for the easily flustered. Instead, bring a handy notepad. It’s good for all sorts of things, like writing down quotes or making a to-do list for the next day.
- Comfortable boots: There’s no telling how long your day will get, so it’s always important to bring a pair of comfortable boots. Your feet will thank you!
- Extra hair-ties: “Have you got an extra hair tie?” It’s a phrase all girls have said, and dread to hear, especially if you’ve only got one (and it’s for your hair later). Be your own hero and bring some extras to stash in your purse.
- Clothes for all seasons: Between the office, the arena and the Oklahoma City outdoors, you never know what kind of weather you’re walking into. It’s recommended to be prepared by bringing short sleeves, long sleeves and a jacket! A vest is great, too. Dressing in layers is the best advice for surviving in Oklahoma City.
In the end, the World Show is one of the most exciting times of the quarter for the fall interns. It’s fun to escape the office and enjoy the American Quarter Horse that we all love so much. But, you can’t thoroughly enjoy it if you aren’t prepared!
AQHA offers three internship opportunities each semester at AQHA Headquarters in Amarillo, plus an international internship each summer. Learn more at www.aqha.com/internships.