Tying the Mecate | Free Guide
Tying the Mecate
If you're like many horsemen, you have a bosal in the tack room but made the mistake of untying the mecate line while adjusting it to your horse. Now, the bosal is lying there, useless, because you don't know how to tie the mecate safely and correctly.
AQHA is here to the rescue with our free Tying the Mecate ebook. In this handy, downloadable ebook, you'll get easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions from AQHA Professional Horseman Patrick Hooks.
Patrick gives you some funny anecdotal advice on why people struggle with the process of tying the mecate. Then he dives into a nine-step process that he learned years ago from a 90-year-old man who definitely remembered how to do it right.
Steps for Tying a Mecate
- Begin by turning your bosal just as though you were looking up at your horse. The hanger will be turned down, and the hanger tie will be to your right.
- Place the tail of your mecate up through the cheeks of the bosal and leave a short tail hanging just over the heel knot of the bosal.
Get the rest of the steps in AQHA's Tying the Mecate FREE ebook! Colorful photos will guide you each step of the way.
Once you know how to correctly tie the mecate, you can start using your bosal for all kinds of horse riding and training endeavors. Good luck, and leave us comments about your success tying a mecate on your own!
Submit the form below to download the Tying the Mecate e-book.
READ THE LATEST ISSUE
- The Western Troubadour: Red Steagall
- The American ingenuity of Nettles Stirrups
- Rugged Lark was America's Superhorse
- Pitzer Ranch's living legacy
- Whistle Stop Cafe: 2020 world champion racing American Quarter Horse