About the Incentive Fund
Enrollment in the AQHA Incentive Fund is an investment in your horse.
The AQHA Incentive Fund is a multimillion-dollar program involving stallion and foal nominations with pay backs to the stallion nominators, foal nominators and owners of the competing horses. The program is owned, managed and operated by AQHA.
The Incentive Fund utilizes the most familiar and proven concept in the American Quarter Horse show industry: points won at AQHA shows. Each point earned at an AQHA-approved show in the open and/or amateur division by an Incentive Fund nominated horse will be worth a specific amount. The exact amount will depend on total money in the fund for that show year and the total number of points earned in that year by Incentive Fund-nominated horses.
Scroll down to access Incentive Fund forms or find a nominated stallion.
How to Nominate
Each year, the owner of the Incentive Fund-nominated horse will receive a check for 70 percent of the horse's earnings. The nominator will receive 15 percent of the horse's earnings and the horse’s sire nominator will get 15 percent.
The nomination process starts with the stallion owner. Here are the rules:
- The stallion owner must nominate the stallion within 90 days of its first ever breeding. (Ex: Stallion breeds the first mare in April, then he must be nominated by July.)
- The same stallion must then be nominated again by November 30 for the next year's breeding season. This is because stallion nominations are due a year in advance. (Ex: Nominate in 2008 for the 2009 breeding season that produces foals born in 2010.)
- The price to nominate a stallion is $300 (flat) for the first breeding season, and then the nomination fee is then based on the number of mares listed on the previous years’ stallion breeding report. Click here for a price chart.
- After you’ve mailed your stallion nomination in the first time, you can call it in each year thereafter. AQHA even makes it easy by calling everyone eligible to nominate by phone each year!
Foal nominations work like this:
- Mare owners breed their mares to AQHA Incentive Fund-nominated stallions. This the only way for the foal to be nominated – if its sire was enrolled in the program. Mare owners can check the nominated stallion list online, or call AQHA Customer Service at 806-376-4811 with a stallion’s name – we’ll tell you the information.
- Once you have the stallion picked, the breeding done, simply check a box on the foal application, and be sure to sign the form, and AQHA will nominate your foal for the Incentive Fund. Or, download and complete this foal nomination form.
Owner, exhibitor and breeder feedback drove changes to the Incentive Fund. To make the program more beneficial to all competitors, effective January 1, 2016, competition licenses are no longer required, and the point cap will change to one plus the average number of points earned during the year.
Stallion Nomination Form
Nominations are due November 30.
Foal Nomination Form
Note: The sire must have been nominated for the breeding season which produced the foal in order for the foal to be eligible.
Find a Stallion
AQHA Incentive Fund stallions are searchable! Utilize our online tool to find an Incentive Fund-nominated stallion near you.
Incentive Fund Changes
Learn more about changes, effective January 1, 2016.
Incentive Fund Payout for 2015
See the complete financial look at the AQHA Incentive Fund.