Wimpys Little Step is NRHA $6 Million Sire
The milestones just keep coming for Wimpys Little Step, the National Reining Horse Association's fourth $6 million sire.
By Hayley Lewallen | April 9, 2014
In 10 months after achieving the $5 million mark, Wimpys Little Step has become the National Reining Horse Association’s newest $6 million sire. This makes him the fourth horse to earn such a prestigious title and puts him in the ranks alongside Smart Chic Olena, Topsail Whiz and Hollywood Dun It.
Wimpys Little Step, a 2011 NRHA Hall of Fame inductee, is by $2 million sire and NRHA Hall of Fame inductee Nu Chex To Cash and out of Leolita Step by Forty Seven. Wimpys Little Step is owned by NRHA corporate partner Xtra Quarter Horses of Purcell, Oklahoma, which is where Wimpys Little Step currently stands. With limited showing in 2002, ridden by NRHA’s only $5 million rider Shawn Flarida, Wimpys Little Step racked up an impressive show record with NRHA lifetime earnings of more than $185,000.
His top earning progeny include:
- Wimpys Little Chic (Wimpys Little Step-Collena Chic Olena by Smart Chic Olena): $514,700 NRHA LTE, bred by Double Run Farm, currently owned by NRHA $1 million owner Arcese Quarter Horses U.S.A.; NRHA’s current lifetime earning’s leader and the only horse to consecutively win the NRHA Futurity, National Reining Breeders Classic and NRHA Derby; 2007 NRHA Futurity Level 4 open champion, 2008 NRBC Level 4 open champion, 2008 NRHA Derby Level 4 open champion, 2009 NRBC Level 4 open reserve champion and open mare champion, 2010 NRBC Level 4 open reserve champion and open mare champion, 2012 NRHA Hall of Fame inductee
- RC Fancy Step (Wimpys Little Step-Sonita Wilson by Doc Wilson): $361,800 NRHA LTE, bred by Bernie Paetzel, currently owned by Molly Morgenstern; 2007 All American Quarter Horse Congress Futurity Level 4 open champion, 2008 Wimpys Little Step Derby Level 4 open champion, 2008 NRBC Level 4 open reserve champion, 2009 Wimpys Little Step Derby Level 4 open champion, 2009 NRHA Derby Level 4 open champion, 2010 Wimpys Little Step Derby Level 4 open champion, 2010 Alltec™ FEI World Equestrian Games team gold medalist
- Wimpyneedsacocktail (Wimpys Little Step-Seven S Mimosa by Hollywood Dun It): $280,300 NRHA LTE, owned by NRHA corporate partner Xtra Quarter Horses; 2010 NRHA Futurity Level 2 open champion, 2012 AQHA World Championship Show junior reining reserve world champion, 2013 NRBC Level 3 and 4 open champion, NRHA Derby Level 3 open reserve champion, and AQHA World Show senior reining reserve world champion
- Wimpys Little Buddy (Wimpys Little Step-All Thats Dun by Hollywood Dun It): $258,200 NRHA LTE, currently owned by Madalyn Roberts; 2010 NRBC Level 4 non-pro third place, 2011 NRBC Challenge open champion, 2011 Cactus Reining Classic Maturity Challenge Level 4 open champion, 2011 Reining By The Bay Maturity Level 4 open champion, 2012 AQHA World Show senior horse finalist
- Show Me The Buckles (Wimpys Little Step-Sunset Whiz by Topsail Whiz): $143,500 NRHA LTE, bred by Michael Boyle, currently owned by Rebeca Martin; 2011 High Roller Reining Classic Futurity Level 4 open reserve champion, 2011 NRHA Futurity Level 4 open reserve champion, 2013 NRHA Derby Level 4 open finalist and High Roller Reining Classic Derby Level 4 open third place
View the 2013 AQHA high-point winners in the free April American Quarter Horse Journal.