Top NCEA Horses Crowned
American Quarter Horses swept reining and horsemanship honors for the 2013-14 National Collegiate Equestrian Association season.
By Tara Matsler | April 24, 2014
The National Collegiate Equestrian Association released its top horses list for the 2013-14 season in each of the four NCEA events – reining, horsemanship, equitation on the flat and equitation over fences.
These horses were chosen by the NCEA selection committee based on a formula similar to the student-athlete awards that are announced during the regular season. All horses selected were nominated by the opposing schools at each meet and have shown at least three times during the regular season.
All 10 top horsemanship and 10 top reining horses are American Quarter Horses. Quite a few horses who were recognized for the 2012-13 season returned for the 2013-14 list of top honors. Repeat honorees for horsemanship include Secret Chex, Peek N Play, Acoosamatic and Ibe Packin Iron. Repeat reining honorees include Dun Leanin and Mr Solanos Kid.
- Acoosamatic (TCU) – 1996 red dun gelding by Acoosa-Chicks Darlene by Chickalejos; bred by Ernest and Jacqueline Bezley of Clements, California; owned by Renee Howes of Skull Valley, Arizona
- Secret Chex (Oklahoma State University) – 2002 sorrel mare by Zippo Pine Chex-Untold Secret by Secret Policy (TB); bred by Tim and Nancy Hamlin of Winchester, Kentucky; owned by OSU Athletics of Stillwater, Oklahoma
- Peek N Play (Baylor University) – 2003 bay mare by Dry N Play-Smart Peekaboo Peppy by Smart Peppy Doc; bred by Steve and Carol Metcalf of Pilot Point, Texas; owned by Kirk Wilkie of Austin, Texas
- Ibe Packin Iron (University of Georgia) – 2002 bay gelding by A Passing Breeze-Iron Abby by Iron Rebel; bred by Cecilia May Hylton of Gainesville, Virginia; owned by the University of Georgia Athletic Association in Athens
- El Sueco (Georgia) – 2000 sorrel gelding by Gallo Del Cielo-A Smart Little Girl by Smart Little Lena; bred by Frank and Robin Merrill of Poolville, Texas; owned by UGA Athletics
- Charlies Gota Shiner (Baylor University) – 1999 sorrel gelding by Dont Skip Charlie-Little Shiney Lexus by Zippo Jack Bar; bred by Hedy Levin of Sturgis, Michigan; owned by Livvie Van Lanen of Green Bay, Wisconsin
- Unziped Anticipation (Oklahoma State University) – 2002 brown gelding by Zippas Mr Tiger-Dynamic Anticipation by Dynamic Deluxe; bred by Jean Starling of Stanwood, Washington; owned by Oklahoma State University Athletics of Stillwater, Oklahoma
- Zippos Sly Fox (Kansas State University) – 2000 sorrel gelding by Hotroddin Zippo-Nosicksocks by Mr High Socks; bred by Judith A. Box of Denver; owned by K-State Athletics of Manhattan, Kansas
- RSVP With Chips (New Mexico State University) – 2003 bay gelding by Dress Western-Dont Skip Pebbles by Dont Skip This Chip; bred by Judy Woodward of Scottsdale, Arizona; owned by NMSU Equestrian Team of Las Cruces, New Mexico
- Bueno Sixty Six (Texas A&M University) – 2003 bay gelding by Bueno Chexinic-Holly O Jay by Master Jay; bred by Nedpoint Quarter Horses of Pauls Valley, Oklahoma; owned by Shelie Hartman Gibbs of Forest Grove, Oregon
- Dudes Snapshot (New Mexico State) – 2003 palomino gelding by Steadys Dude-Snapping Smarty Lena by Smart Little Lena; owned and bred by Brad Hattig of Berthoud, Colorado
- Larkin With Style (Texas A&M) – 2001 black gelding by Look Whos Larkin-Tee Jay Swan of Tee J Leo Jack; bred by Thomas B. Brown of De Kalb, Texas; owned by Eileen Depew of Lakeway, Texas
- Who Whiz Peppy (Georgia) – 2004 bay gelding Who Whiz It-San Piper Peppy by Sons Doc; bred by Tucker Plantation of Princeton, Kentucky; owned by UGA Athletics Association
- Tivitos Flashy Ride (TCU) – 2005 bay gelding by Tivitos Sugar Bar-Sheza Flashy Lena CT by Colonel Rey Lena; bred by Diana J. Paboojian of Oakdale, California; owned by Richard and Linda Isola of Eagle Point, Oregon
- Whiz A King (Kansas State) – 2003 sorrel gelding by Topsail Whiz-Powder Gay Barette by Gay Bar King; bred by Rosanne Sternberg of Aubrey, Texas; owned by K-State Athletics
- Shine On West Coast (TCU) – 2005 bay gelding by West Coast Whiz-Shining Bubbles by Shining Spark; bred by Bob Loomis Quarter Horses of Overbrook, Oklahoma; owned by Andrea McGhee of Sheridan, Arkansas
- Banjos Remedy (Georgia) – 2005 black gelding by Banjo Whiz-Uno Mas O Menos by Smart Little Uno; bred by Gary or Marilyn Cottar of Springtown, Texas; owned by 4 Arrows Ranch of Citra, Florida
- Dun Leanin (Baylor) – 2001 dun mare by Lean With Me-Dun Its Jewel by Hollywood Dun It; bred by Debi or Loren East of Bountiful, Utah; owned by Laura Edwards of Temecula, California
- Hobos Lil Remedy (Texas A&M) – 2002 bay gelding by Remedys Expression-Hobos Justa Steppin by Continental Hobo; bred by Debra F. Leatherman of Clear Spring, Maryland; owned by Daniel L. Whitney of Northfield, Massachusetts
- Mr Solanos Kid (Oklahoma State) – 2000 dun gelding by Brennas Kid-Solanos Melody by Mr Melody Jac; bred by Wayne and Stacey Jones of Franklin, Kentucky; owned by OSU Athletics
A horse’s career doesn’t have to begin and end in the traditional AQHA show pen; find out why donating a horse to a college is a practical option.