Five Tips on Effective Campaigning
Apply to run for a 2016-17 AQHYA Officer or Director position by June 1, 2017.
February 1, 2017
The American Quarter Horse Association
Do you want to be more involved in your AQHYA experience and have the desire to play an active role in the decision-making process of the American Quarter Horse Youth Association? Running for an AQHYA Officer or Director spot could do the trick. With running for an AQHYA position comes campaigning, and we want to make sure you have all the tools necessary to campaign at the Bank of America Youth Excellence Seminar July 11-13, 2016, in Amarillo. The application deadline is June 1st (see the Guide to Campaigning for complete details. Note: This version is a tentative draft. Please check back periodically for updates, as highlighted changes are pending approval. The final revised 2017 Guide to Campaigning will be posted by March 31, 2017).
Five Tips on Effective Campaigning for AQHYA Office
- Create a Strong Platform and Vision
- The best type of leadership is guided by purpose.
- Ask yourself, "Why am I running?"
- If you don’t know the "why," no one will want to follow your leadership.
- Find your passion. Where do you want AQHYA to go in the future?
- This position is more than a resume booster; run for a leadership position in hopes of making a difference in AQHYA and fellow members' lives.
- Stay consistent, and remain relevant
- Create a tagline
- A tagline is a catchy slogan you can identify with.
- Companies have branded themselves by their taglines.
- Now it’s your turn to get your creative juices flowing.
- Produce eye-catching posters with compelling graphics
- Make yourself visible
- Contact your state and regional youth affiliate members, and attend meetings.
- Utilize Technology
- Use social media to your advantage.
- Create a campaign page on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
- Post relevant content, use this as an opportunity to reach members far and wide and share your platform.
- Show your true, authentic self to your fellow members. Don't create a persona just to impress people.
- The foundation of leadership is trust. To be trusted, you must be honest and transparent.
- This is your chance to shine and show AQHYA members what you are made of.
At the end of the day, running for an AQHYA Officer or Director position is an exciting time, but it should be taken seriously. If elected, you will be the face of AQHYA. You will gain great leadership skills, meet lots of fellow members and become a better person because of this opportunity. You will have the ability to influence members and nonmembers from across the world. Use this as a time to grow personally, as well as grow AQHYA at the same time.
Good luck to everyone running for a 2017-18 leadership position.
Apply today to become a 2017-18 AQHYA Officer or Director and represent this great Association.