Seven Reasons to Compete with Your American Quarter Horse
You and your American Quarter Horse are bursting with potential. Make 2018 the year you put that talent to the test!
May 1, 2018
Sure, ribbons and awards are one reason to compete with your American Quarter Horse, but there are also many benefits to competing. Competition is a great way to explore the versatility and strength of the American Quarter Horse.
1.Join a lasting community. The competition world is a tight-knit community of friends, families, mentors and professionals working toward a common goal of bettering themselves and the horses they love. We’ve gathered the resources you want to see before you enter the arena to make it even more inclusive.
2. Broaden your horizons. There’s a reason that the American Quarter Horse is known for his versatility. Challenge yourself to compete in an event you’ve always wanted to try!
3. Get in shape. Your horse isn’t the only one who needs to be in tip-top shape to compete at his best ability. Improve your mental and physical strength as you set your sights on the show pen.
4. Add value to your horse. Experience in the show pen is a valuable attribute to any horse. Help him mature as an athlete and a riding partner by venturing into the competition world.
5. Make memories you’ll never forget. A picture is worth a thousand words, and whether you’re gritting your teeth and racing the clock in a barrel race, or executing the perfect trail pattern with grace and precision, big moments are had in the arena. Check out some of our favorite memories from our community of competitors: #AQHAWorldShow #AQHYAWorld #SelectWorld
6. Get rewarded for your hard work. From buckles and cash, to titles and recognitions, AQHA-approved shows offer some exciting prizes to celebrate the well-deserved accomplishments of you and your American Quarter Horse.
7. Make it to a championship show. Whether you walk out with a golden globe, or simply a good experience and lessons learned, just qualifying for an AQHA championship competition is a feat to be proud of. Check out which one is right for you:
a. For Rookie and Level 1 youth and amateurs: AQHA Level 1 Championships. East, Central and West locations are all offered in the spring, and there’s no qualifying process! New this year, eligible exhibitors also have the option to compete at the AQHA Cattle Level 1 Championships, held in conjunction with the 2018 Zoetis AQHA Versatility Ranch Horse World Championships June 14-17 at the Lazy E Arena in Guthrie, Oklahoma.
b.For levels 2 and 3 youth: Built Ford Tough AQHYA World Championship Show
c.For Level 3 50-&-Over amateurs: Adequan® Select World Championship Show
d.For levels 2 and 3 open and amateurs: Lucas Oil AQHA World Championship Show
e.For youth, amateur and open ranch-horse enthusiasts: Zoetis AQHA Versatility Ranch Horse World Championships, Zoetis AQHA Ranching Heritage Challenge Finals and AQHA Level 1 Cattle Championships
F. For youth, amateur and open mounted shooters: AQHA Cowboy Mounted Shooting World Championships