Year-End Award Winners Recognized in Michigan
Take a look through photos from January 10 at the Michigan Quarter Horse Association year-end awards banquet.
By Tara Matsler | January 11, 2015
January 10 saw the crowning of the 2014 Michigan Quarter Horse Association year-end award winners. The awards banquet was part of the MQHA convention, January 10-11 in Lansing, Michigan.
That night, Hedy Levin and Paleface Doll, her late sorrel mare, were inducted into the MQHA Hall of Fame. The 1972 sorrel daughter of Mr Joe Glo and out of Greyhound Doll by Grey Hound was bred by Burdette Johnson of Shell Rock, Iowa, and purchased by Hedy in 1986. Paleface Doll was the 1975 AQHA junior western pleasure high-point winner and western pleasure high-point mare, also finishing reserve in the overall western pleasure high-point race. She earned her AQHA Champion title in 1981. As a dam, she produced seven point earners out of 11 foals, including AQHA Superior earners Sparkling Solo, Face A Big Leaguer and Zip Something. Hes Just To Sharp, her 1988 foal by Zippo Jack Bar, earned many accolades throughout his career, including the 1994 AQHA senior western pleasure world championship, followed by the amateur western pleasure reserve world championship in 1995, then AQHA amateur western pleasure high-point titles in 1997 and 1998.
In addition to the year-end awards winners, MQHA also recognized:
- Father and Mother of the Year – Jeffrey and Christine West of Williamston, Michigan
- Youth Sportsperson of the Year – Emme J. Lantis Corunna, Michigan
- Sportsperson of the Year – Michelle McCarthy Warda of Lapeer, Michigan
- Member of the Year – Sasha Glover of Webberville, Michigan
The American Quarter Horse Journal congratulates the following MQHA year-end all-around and high-point halter winners:
- Amateur – Brandy L. Balwin-Bunting of Stanton, Michigan, and Chevrolatte (2008 brown gelding by OHK Krymsun Zip-Sucha Fine Time by Scotch Bar Time)
- Select amateur – Cindy Fultz of Northville, Michigan, and The Perfect Detail (2002 brown gelding by Last Detail-IC Bay Lady by Ideal Conclusion)
- Youth 14-18 – Alexandra A. Stark of Clare, Michigan, and Hot Lollipop (2007 chestnut mare by Hot N Blazing-Lil Lope N Lilly by Dandys Dee Bar)
- Youth 13-&-under – Katherine West of Williamston, Michigan, and Huntin A Good Return (2005 gray gelding by Huntin For Chocolate-Many Good Returns by Zippos Mr Good Bar)
- Level 1 (Novice) amateur – Alexandra C. Barnes of Westland, Michigan, and Mist My Invitation (2007 bay gelding by Invitation Only-Misty Moonbeam (TB) by Expedition Moon (TB)
- Level 1 (Novice) youth 14-18 – Miller Lantis of Corunna, Michigan, and HQH Money Talks (2005 bay gelding by Slowly Passin Breeze-Jagajets Miss by Jagajet)
- Level 1 (Novice) youth 13-&-under – Audrey Barnes of Morrice, Michigan, and Heres Your Captive (2005 gray gelding by The Last Captive-Skips Jack Ariel by Skip's Jack)
- Open – Morgan Hull of Gregory, Michigan, and Suddenly My Time (2009 gray gelding by RL Best Of Sudden-Huntin Tee Time by Huntin For Chocolate)
- Small-fry – Grace Gasper of Frankenmuth, Michigan
- Halter stallion – TF Doctor Cool (2013 sorrel colt by Kid Coolsified-I Love Bein A Kid by The Finest Kid), owned and bred by Kelli Jensen of Freeland, Michigan
- Halter mare – Ms Mae Flash (2009 bay mare by RL Best Of Sudden-Fannie Mae Flash by Flashy Zipper), owned by Terri J. Smith of Beaverton, Michigan
- Halter gelding – Suddenly My Time, owned by Morgan Hull
- Amateur halter stallion – Ecredible (2010 sorrel stallion by Mr Elusive-Lindys Little Secret by The Top Secret), shown by Steve Jensen of Freeland, Michigan
- Amateur halter mare – A Sleepy Margarita (2007 chestnut mare by Too Sleepy To Zip-Scotch Margarita by Scotch Bar Time), shown by Meggen Morrow-Baynes of Lansing, Michigan
- Amateur halter gelding – Chevrolatte, shown by Brandy Baldwin-Bunting
Visit www.miquarterhorse.com to access MQHA's event schedule for 2015, plus see the full 2014 year-end results.
Would you like to see your affiliate’s year-end winners highlighted, too? Contact AQHA Internet Editor Tara Matsler at firstname.lastname@example.org to have your awards banquet featured on AQHA.com's Showing page.