The American Quarter Horse Journal
The January American Quarter Horse Journal celebrates superhorses and gets riders on the right track for success in 2014.
January 2, 2014
With fledgling 2014 underway, most people are gung ho about their resolutions for the New Year. Knowing that, the staff of The American Quarter Horse Journal packed the January Journal with articles you can count on to help you live out your dreams with your American Quarter Horse.
So, when you crack the spine on the January Journal, you’ll be unleashing pages upon pages of articles crafted to help you make your 2014 resolutions a reality.
But before you get to chomping on the bit while you wait for the January Journal to arrive in your mailbox, keep in mind that current subscribers can access the digital edition of the Journal right now via their Web browser by visiting www.aqha.com/journal.
Training, Health, Breeding and Business
- What Lead Is My Horse On? – Learn to decipher the signals so you can tell leads without looking with help from AQHA Professional Horseman Julie Goodnight, and watch a video with Julie in the digital edition of the Journal.
- Borrow a Trainer – Chance O’Neal, full-time trainer for AQHA Ranching Heritage Breeder Four Sixes Ranch, shares his preparation techniques for horses learning to change leads.
- The Road to Reno – National Reined Cow Horse Association Snaffle Bit Futurity prospects build a solid foundation at 2, then polish their act as 3-year-olds.
- A Positive Evaluation – The Journal’s Structure in Detail experts, Dr. Jerry Black and AQHA judge Tim Finkenbinder, return to evaluate four horses’ form to function.
- Reach For the Sky – Try these five stretches pre-ride to increase your connection to your horse.
- Horse Health: Bran Mash – Is the warm treat beneficial? Read up on the benefits and concerns of feeding your horse a warm-bran mash through the winter.
- Understanding Back Soreness – Horse owners often think their horses’ backs are sore, but is it really a common problem or just a default explanation?
- Attractive Nuisances – Learn the laws and liabilities for horseback riding enthusiasts dealing with trespassing children.
- Breeding Soundness – Dr. Steve Fisch looks at the advantages of evaluating your breeding stock before the season begins.
- 10 Horse-Showing Tips – Don’t miss these 10 easy tips before you and your American Quarter Horse load up for your next AQHA show.
- Ringing in the New Year – Take a look at the rule changes impacting 2014 shows.
- On the Leveling Horizon – See how the AQHA leveling program will be reintroduced in 2014.
AQHA World Show Coverage
- Un Forgettable Superhorse – This 2007 gray stallion is the 2013 AQHA World Championship Show Farnam Superhorse, and you can even meet his connections through a video interview in the Journal digital edition.
- A Dream Come True – A dream comes true for Meghan O’Malley, who started life as a horse-crazy little girl, when she and her buckskin mare, A Chanceof Blueskies, won the 2013 Farnam All-Around Amateur Award. Don’t miss Meghan’s Journal Winning Run video interview in the digital edition of the Journal.
- World Show Champions and Top-10 Winners – Meet the newly crowned 2013 AQHA world champions.
- AQHA Proud! – Amateur and open exhibitors, trainers, owners and fans showed their AQHA pride at the 2013 AQHA World Show.
- World Show Shindigs – See who showed up for the AQHA World Show’s multitude of exhibitor parties.
- The Sixth Judge – An AQHA judge was added to the 2013 AQHA World Show halter classes to catalog major faults for judge educational purposes.
- AQHA World Show Sale Results – Rail-and-pattern, halter and performance horses sold strongly across the board November 17 at the 2013 AQHA World Championship Show Sale in Oklahoma City.
Meeting Fellow Horsemen
- Irons In the Fire – Multitasking comes naturally to Laurel Walker-Denton, but her chores have a common denominator: horses.
- Legends: Charley Araujo – The legends continue about Hall of Fame horseman Charley Araujo.
- Journal Family: Melissa Price – Meet Novice amateur Melissa Price, an all-around competitor from Carriere, Mississippi.
Journal subscribers can log in to access the digital edition of the magazine at www.aqha.com/journal. Not a subscriber? Subscribe today to receive instant access to the current Journal digital edition or order a single copy of the January Journal at 800-291-7323.