Collegiate Athletes Named for Shootout
The collegiate reiners are named for the inaugural Arizona Sun Circuit Shootout, set for February 2 in Scottsdale.
By Tara Matsler | January 21, 2014
Eight collegiate equestrian reining competitors will compete February 2 in the Arizona Sun Circuit Shootout, hosted by the Arizona Quarter Horse Association in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Featuring collegiate student-athletes from the National Collegiate Equestrian and Intercollegiate Horse Show associations, the Sun Circuit Shootout is a new addition to Arizona Sun Circuit for 2014.
The Sun Circuit Shootout participants include:
- Katherine Berg of Florence, Texas – senior representing Baylor University (NCEA)
- Marilyn Brandt of Andover, Illinois – senior representing West Texas A&M University (IHSA)
- Taylor Brown of Strathmore, California – freshman representing Fresno State University (NCEA)
- Layla Choate of Murray, Kentucky – junior representing University of South Carolina (NCEA)
- Austin Griffith of Dublin, Ohio – representing Ohio State University (IHSA)
- Brynn Larson of Brush Prairie, Washington – junior representing New Mexico State University (NCEA)
- Darby Mailhot of Lisle, Ontario – freshman representing Delaware State University (NCEA)
- Raivenne Scott of Cornelius, Oregon – sophomore representing South Dakota State University (NCEA)
The Sun Circuit Shootout is one of three invitationals offered for collegiate western competitors. The AQHA World Championship Show is host to the AQHA Collegiate Horsemanship Challenge, the only invitational for collegiate horsemanship riders. The National Reining Horse Association hosts a collegiate reining invitational in conjunction with the NRHA Derby.
Fitness instructor and equestrienne Monica Brant shows you five stretches in the January American Quarter Horse Journal to try pre-ride that will increase your connection to your horse.