December American Quarter Horse Journal
This issue features coverage of the 2014 AQHA Level 1 (Novice) Championships, plus health articles to give you a jumpstart on horse-breeding season.
November 25, 2014
Historically known as The American Quarter Horse Journal’s annual stallion issue, the December 2014 edition is jam-packed with horse-health articles that will help horse-breeding hopefuls kickstart the season.
- “So You Wanna Breed Your Mare” is a Q&A with a breeding farm manager, providing tips on what mare owners need to know about stallion breeding contracts.
- “Overseas Semen” looks at the export of frozen semen and how the practice is opening up a whole world of options for mare owners.
- “Tools of the Trade” is a beginner’s guide to artificial vaginas for stallion owners.
- “Match Maker” tests you on pedigrees that everyone should know.
- “The Kindest Cut” examines the pros and cons of gelding a stallion.
Also featured in the December Journal:
- “Level 1 Exhibitor Hits the Jackpot” introduces you to Traci Nelson, plus a whole herd of other competitors from this year’s SmartPak West AQHA Level 1 (Novice) Championships.
- “Eastern Fling” wraps up the Nutrena East AQHA Level 1 (Novice) Championships.
- “Congress Was Cool” highlights our coverage of the All American Quarter Horse Congress.
- “Borrow a Trainer” has advice from AQHA Professional Horsewoman Nancy Cahill, who shows you how to manage your split reins properly to be a more effective rider.
- “A Compounded Relationship” takes a look at how to safely compound drugs, plus the dangers of not abiding by these procedures.
- “Taking It for a Spin” gives you a sneak peek at the new ranch division rolling out in January.
- “Invitation Only Makes History” introduces you to the new all-time leading sire and gives you some insights to his everyday lifestyle at Ohio Pineview Farms.
- “Gloria” is a tip-of-the-hat to the Minnesota Quarter Horse Association secretary who, after 60 years of service, is retiring this month.
- “Making a Cow Horse” follows 3-year-old prospects on their path to a Zoetis AQHA Ranching Heritage Challenge.
- “Breeder Spotlight: Dun Skippit” looks to a buckskin stallion who was – and still is – the pride and joy of the Schuetts family of South Dakota.
- “Journal Family: Dr. Kellie Herrington” spotlights this hard-working, down-to-earth AQHA exhibitor.
- “Snapshots” rounds up reader-submitted photos from around the AQHA and alliance event show scene.
The American Quarter Horse Journal is as versatile as the breed. A subscription to the Journal includes both print and digital, and the digital edition of the Journal features bonus content, such as video and slide shows.
Head to www.aqha.com/subscribe to access the digital edition as a current subscriber, download the new Journal app or become a subscriber today. And if print is more your style, order a single print copy by calling 800-291-7323. Single issues of the digital edition are available for purchase through the Journal app.