March American Quarter Horse Journal
Legendary American Quarter Horses, best practices for barn and horse-health management, plus horse-showing advice make this issue a must-read.
March 2, 2015
Celebration of AQHA's 75th anniversary is in full swing, and the March American Quarter Horse Journal cover pays homage to the milestone. The March Journal is just hitting mailboxes now, but the great news is that you don't have to impatiently wait for your copy to arrive. Go to www.aqha.com/subscribe to order a new subscription or single copies of the March issue, download the app for smartphones and tablets or read the digital edition online.
Here are 11 reasons why you need to read the Journal this month.
1. Five horses and four men are inducted into the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame this month. We profile each one: Smart Little Lena, Azure Te, Corona Chick, Coy's Bonanza, Plaudit, Tom Bradbury, Jim Helzer, Stanley Johnson and Ted Wells Jr.
2. An astute amateur spent the 2014 AQHA World Championship Show studying the habits of champions; don't miss her observations of 10 show habits of winners.
3. Correct lead changes begin with body alignment. AQHA Professional Horseman Stephen Stephens launches into what body alignment means ... and how to achieve it.
4. AQHA Professional Horsewoman Jill Newcomb breaks our featured horsemanship practice pattern into parts to make it easier to ride.
5. Fixing mud holes and managing pastures correctly keeps everyone happier and healthier.
6. Proper oral care is one of the most important veterinary services you can provide your horse.
7. Jackie Payne, a key AQHA employee, is leaving after 38 years of service. Before she goes, Jackie shares some of her fondest memories from nearly four decades at AQHA.
8. In the final part of our year-long series, ranch-horse trainers Matt Koch and Dusty Burson share what's next for their just-turned-4-year-olds in their careers on the ranch and in the show pen.
9. Meet Birgitta Breur-Kreischer, an inspiring AQHA Versatility Ranch Horse exhibitor from Germany who has fulfilled her lifelong goal of competing at an AQHA world championship show.
10. Last but not least: Look through fan-submitted photos from around the barn, plus at AQHA and alliance partner events.
11. Read AQHA General Councel Chad Pierce's recap of the cloning lawsuit after the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit Court ruled in favor of AQHA.
How to Read This Article