Oregon Summer Classic Returns June 20-26
It’s not just about the points and prizes at AQHA’s third largest show; there’s a whole lot of fun to be had, too.
June 6, 2016
From the Oregon Quarter Horse Association
Some of the nation’s leading American Quarter Horses and their riders will set their sights on Central Point for the Oregon Quarter Horse Association’s Summer Classic horse show. The event is slated for June 20-26 at the Jackson County Expo.
The Oregon Summer Classic, the third largest Quarter Horse show in the United States, is a major destination for top competitors and their equine athletes. In 2015, the Summer Classic posted 9,245 total entries throughout eight show numbers.
“Exhibitors travel from as far and wide as Alaska and Texas to attend the Summer Classic,” said Chris Swanson, OQHA president. “The Jackson County Expo is one of the best facilities to showcase the athleticism and versatility of the American Quarter Horse.”
New for 2016, OQHA has added Versatility Ranch Horse classes in addition to their full slate of AQHA classes and special event classes, including:
- Reining Sweepstakes
- Ranch Riding Shootout
- Roping Shootout
- Yearling Halter Futurities
- 5-&-Under Team Roping
- 2- and 3-Year-Old Western Pleasure Futurities
- Yearling Longeline Futurity
- English Classic (for horses 4 and under)
And the two events Summer Classic is perhaps best known for: Youth Champion of Champions and Trainer Showmanship Challenge.
Charlotte Green and Central Park West hand gallop in the Youth Champion of Champions at the 2015 Oregon Summer Classic.
AQHA Professional Horseman David Busick shows his moves as "the King," with a little assistance from ring steward David Haring during the Trainer Showmanship Challenge at the 2015 Summer Classic.
For fun outside of the arena, Summer Classic exhibitors can also look forward to:
- Sunday, June 19 – Exhibitor Welcome Social
- Wednesday, June 22 –Taste of the Rogue Valley Wine Reception
- Thursday, June 23 – Exhibitor Barbecue
- Friday, June 24 – non-show day; enjoy off-day activities like the Hellgate Jet Boat trip, Zipline Adventure trip, Rogue River fishing or rafting trips, or wine tours
- Saturday, June 25 – Central Point Pizza Party
Several stalls are still available; contact Show Secretary Debbi Johnson at (503) 539-7909 to book yours now.
Visit www.oregon-qha.com to view the schedule and learn more about the Summer Classic.