AQHA Names New Stewards
Seven horsemen and -women join the ranks to monitor animal welfare at AQHA competitions.
October 16, 2017
The American Quarter Horse Association
The health and well-being of the American Quarter Horse is AQHA’s utmost concern. In accordance with AQHA’s mission statement, the American Quarter Horse shall be treated humanely, with dignity, respect and compassion at all times. It is the goal of AQHA to educate members and non-members on this issue. The AQHA steward program is one piece in the animal-welfare puzzle.
Designation as an AQHA steward is a privilege bestowed by the AQHA Executive Committee according to procedures formulated by it, to individuals whose equine expertise and personal character merit the honor.
Northwest Region (Washington, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, Montana, Northern California, Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan)
Sue Sultze – Bow, Washington
North Central Region (North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Manitoba)
Jeff Allen – Scott City, Kansas
Northeast Region (Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Maine, Vermont, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maryland, Delaware, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia)
Pierre Briere – Stockton, New Jersey
Kim Myers – Felton, Pennsylvania
South Region (Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, East Texas)
Clay “Rawhide” Blackwell – Loranger, Louisiana
Greg Wheat – Benton, Louisiana
Pacific Southwest Region (Arizona, Southern California, Nevada, Utah, Western Colorado)
Drake Johnson – Wray, Colorado
AQHA stewards' responsibilities include:
- Monitoring show grounds for inhumane treatment of horses and unsportsmanlike conduct
- Answering exhibitors' questions about rules
- Assisting show officials with proper set up of practice jumps and courses
- Investigating complaints of class filling
- Evaluating potentially unsafe conditions related to the show, e.g. poor footing in the warm-up area, and bring to attention of show management to correct
- Issuing warning or removal cards from the show grounds as warranted according to AQHA rules and/or guidelines
- Timely filing an AQHA steward's report and evaluation with AQHA
- Adhering to the AQHA Stewards Code of Ethics
Refer to AQHA Rule SHW133-134 for more information on AQHA stewards.