USDA Hosting Meetings on Quarantine Centers and Services
Attend the USDA APHIS -VS meetings to share thoughts on the importation of horses and semen.
January 30, 2014
American Horse Council
The United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service will hold six meetings across the country to hear thoughts and concerns on the import quarantine center and the services it provides. This is an opportunity for the horse industry to share its thoughts on what possible changes can be made to better facilitate the importation of horses and semen. During the stakeholder meetings, APHIS will be asking users to respond to the following questions:
- What factors do you consider when preparing to import animals requiring quarantine?
- What factors do you consider when choosing locations for animal quarantines?
- How can e-commerce enhance the importation process?
- What are your experiences with quarantine facilities in other countries?
- How do you see your need for quarantine services changing over the next five to 10 years?
- What other options, ideas or topics should USDA APHIS Veterinary Services consider relevant to current animal import quarantine processes?
APHIS will be accepting written statements up to five days after each of the six meetings and through May 12.
- Should the American Horse Council submit comments?
- If so, what points should we make?
Dates and Locations
Los Angeles – February 19
Embassy Suites, Los Angeles International Airport/South
1440 E. Imperial Ave., El Segundo, CA 90245
Louisville, Kentucky – February 25
Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, Louisville North
505 Marriott Drive, Clarksville, IN 47129
Chicago – February 27 Embassy Suites Chicago Downtown Lakefront
511 N. Columbus Dr., Chicago, IL 60611
Riverdale, Maryland – March 3
4700 River Road, Riverdale, MD 20737
New York City – March 5
Courtyard by Marriot LaGuardia Airport
90-10 Grand Central Parkway, East Elmhurst, NY 11369
Miami – March 11
Courtyard by Marriott, Miami Airport South
1201 NW LeJeune Road, Miami FL 33126
For more information, visit www.aphis.usda.gov.