AQHA Publications Win Awards
AQHA Publications bring home awards from the American Horse Publications annual meeting and contest.
June 24, 2014
The American Quarter Horse Association
American Quarter Horse Association Publications brought home a big list of awards from this year’s American Horse Publications writing and photo contest. This year’s competition included more than 50 classes, 736 entries and 97 contestants, of which 64 became finalists and 38 earned first-place awards.
The long-anticipated results were announced on June 21, during the AHP “Gallop n’ Grits” Seminar, a jammed-packed three-day educational and networking conference held in Charleston, South Carolina.
The big award – General Excellence Publication Overall – was snagged by America’s Horse, the official member publication of the Association.
“The five entries (in the general excellence overall category) were all exemplary examples of serving their readership,” the judge wrote. “Each provided appropriate editorial content. Each did a good job of illustrating their articles and designing a pleasing publication. When I finally chose America’s Horse for the top honor, it was on the basis of the writing – and the consistency of the quality of the writing. There isn’t one star writer in this case; many different bylines appear. Yet every article starts in an engaging way and keeps the reader engaged right through to the carefully crafted conclusion.”
Another big award – event coverage – was won by the staff of The American Quarter Horse Journal, with its print coverage of the 2013 Adequan Select World Championship Show.
“Love the short, easy-to-read snippets on individual exhibitors,” the judge said. “Time is in short supply to readers and the short pieces were a great way to bring a personal touch for those who weren't at the show.”
Here’s the full list of placings for AQHA Publications:
- Overall Publication General Excellence, America’s Horse
- General Excellence Association Publication Circulation 15,000 & Over, America's Horse
- Editorial Event Coverage Single Article Circulation 20,000 and Over, The American Quarter Horse Journal, “Goin' for the Gold, Silver and Bronze” by The American Quarter Horse Journal Staff
- Publication Staff Single Advertisement, The American Quarter Horse Journal, “Be AQHA Proud” by Diana McClung, graphic designer
- News Reporting Single Article, The American Quarter Horse Journal, “Kim Lindsey and Judys Ten” by Tara Matsler
- Instructional Single Article Circulation 20,000 & Over, America's Horse, “From ‘Cinchy’ to Steady” by Brent Graef and Holly Clanahan
- Instructional Series, The American Quarter Horse Journal, “Plus This” by Dick Pieper and Larri Jo Starkey
- Personal Single Column Circulation 20,000 & Over, America's Horse, “The Horse for Me” by Tara Matsler
- Equine-Related Editorial Series, America's Horse, “Horse Health Series” By Dr. Lydia Gray and Holly Clanahan
- Publication Cover Page Circulation 20,000 & Over, America's Horse, “Capturing Horses With a Camera,” Justin Foster, graphic designer/David Stoecklein, photographer
- Service to the Reader Single Article Circulation 20,000 & Over, The American Quarter Horse Journal, “Looking to Outcross” by Christine Hamilton
- Publication Cover Page Circulation 20,000 & Over, The American Quarter Horse Journal, “All Around Senior,” Justin Foster/K.C. Montgomery, photographer
- Editorial Design Circulation 20,000 & Over, The American Quarter Horse Journal, “Hall of Fame,” Justin Foster
AQHA Publications includes The American Quarter Horse Journal, the official business publication of AQHA; America’s Horse, the official member publication of AQHA; and the Q-Racing Journal, which covers the American Quarter Horse racing industry. The Association’s digital properties include AQHA.com and America’s Horse Daily.
American Horse Publications is a non-profit association for the equine publishing media industry. Its members include equine-related print publications, digital media, professionals, students, organizations and businesses.