National Youth Racing Experience Winners Named
The scholarship winners are announced from the AQHYA National Youth Racing Experience in Grand Prairie, Texas.
December 2, 2015
The American Quarter Horse Association
Seven youth competed to earn college scholarships worth a total of $6,000 November 6-7 at the 2015 American Quarter Horse Youth Association National Youth Racing Experience in Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie, Texas.
The youth who were selected to attend this year’s AQHYA National Youth Racing Experience were:
Andee Mae Cornia, Randoph, Utah
Lacey Jo Edge, Krum, Texas
Holly Kiess, Fort Wayne, Indiana
Sierra Meadows, Jones, Oklahoma
Payton Rush, Altoona, Iowa
Emily Schimnich, Sauk Rapids, Minnesota
Valerie Slimskey, East Berlin, Connecticut
The awards were given to the high-scoring students who completed two workbooks and a practical test during the Bank of America Challenge Championships at Lone Star Park. The winners are determined through evaluation of each participant's workbook, quiz and test scores from throughout the educational experience.
Holly Kiess won the top prize of $3,000. Finishing second was Andee Mae Cornia, earning $2,000; and Emily Schimnich was third, earning $1,000.
The AQHYA National Youth Racing Experience introduces youth to the sport of racing. Participants got a behind-the-scenes look into the industry and met the people who help the show go on every day, including owners, trainers, jockeys and their horses.
Top AQHYA members were picked through a nomination and application process for this all-expenses-paid trip.
How to Apply Not only do AQHYA National Youth Racing Experience champions walk away with a sizeable scholarship check in hand, but they also get to enjoy the fruits of an all-expenses-paid trip to the Bank of America Challenge Championship races.
Here’s how to apply for the 2016 event:
- You must be 16 years old by the date of the event.
- You must be an AQHYA member,
- Attend your Regional Racing Experience, then be the selected regional nominee to the National Youth Racing Experience
- If your area does not offer a Regional Racing Experience, you can complete the online application and submit an essay.
- Submit your application by September 1, 2016.
- Applications will be reviewed, and 10 nominees will be selected to attend the AQHYA National Youth Racing Experience on an all-expenses-paid trip to the Bank of America Challenge Championships.