AQHA Summer Checklist
Check out AQHA's top-10 suggestions for a fun summer celebrating the Association's 75th anniversary.
June 8, 2015
The sun is shining, the grass is green and the American Quarter Horse Association has 10 must do’s you do not want to miss out on this summer. From visiting the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame & Museum to attending the Built Ford Tough AQHYA World Championship Show, you’ll have a summer to remember – a summer with AQHA.
- Visit the Hall of Fame & Museum: The mission of the Hall of Fame & Museum is to preserve and interpret the history and modern uses of the American Quarter Horse and cultivate future enthusiasts. The people and horses honored within the Museum’s walls have earned their places as legends.
In celebration of AQHA’s 75th anniversary, the "Breeding a Legacy: 75 Years of American Quarter Horses" is on exhibit until July 25. The exhibit honors and showcases the accomplishments of the 16 American Quarter Horse breeders who have registered a foal every year for 75 years, which include the Four Sixes, J.A., W.T Waggoner Estate, King and Pitchfork ranches. Many of these ranches and American Quarter Horse owners have also been honored with the Zoetis-AQHA Best Remuda Award for producing the best herd of working cow horses.
- Bank of America Youth Excellence Seminar: The 2015 YES, which is July 7-9 in Amarillo, welcomes AQHYA members and nonmembers, ages 10 to 18, to experience this three-day, fun-packed event that offers valuable leadership skills, inspiring speakers and tons of fun.
- Ford Youth World: The Ford Youth World, which is July 31 - August 8 at State Fair Park in Oklahoma City, features the world’s top youth riders and their Quarter Horses. AQHYA members will find glory outside of the arena, as well. Youth members have the chance to compete in an array of contests: from judging to speech to Horse Bowl and demonstrations. To view the tentative schedule of events, visit www.aqha.com/youthworld.
- Horseback Riding Program: The AQHA Horseback Riding Program's Quarter Horse and All-Breed divisions, sponsored by SmartPak and Professional's Choice, are designed to reward AQHA and AQHYA members for the time they spend in the saddle. Members of the program will receive a full-year’s registration to RideAlert.
- Hit the Trails: AQHA's Trail Ride Program, which began in 1997, annually hosts nearly 80 rides around the world. If you have a horse, you're welcome to participate! Call the AQHA Trail Ride Hotline at 888-414-RIDE for more information about an AQHA Trail Ride event near you. What’s even better, Trail Ride Program participants have the perfect opportunity to earn AQHA Horseback Riding Program hours.
- 75th Anniversary Trail Ride: Join us in celebrating AQHA’s 75th anniversary with a week of festive fun June 30 - July 4 in Eminence, Missouri. Hosted by Cross Country Trail Rides, the weekend will be packed with swimming, fishing, concerts, dances and the largest fireworks display in the area. You can bring your horse and join us in a week of trail riding on more than 300 miles of forested and riverside trails. For details and a tentative schedule, visit www.aqha.com/celebration.
- Enjoy a Horse Show: Visit www.aqha.com/showschedule to find an AQHA show near you. Whether you are participating in the show or watching a loved one, you will be connecting with fellow AQHA members and friends making memories that will last forever. From beginning to expert riders, those specializing in dressage or Versatility Ranch Horse, AQHA shows offer good times for everyone.
- Head to the Track: After watching all the excitement of Thoroughbred American Pharoah and Bob Baffert, who got his start training Quarter Horse racehorses, win the Triple Crown, you should be eager to watch the next horse race. Visit www.aqha.com/racing to find a race near you. It could be your lucky day!
- Summer Shopping: Check out the 75th anniversary merchandise and everything AQHA at Quarter Horse Outfitters. Also be sure to take advantage of AQHA member benefits, discounts and savings, including saving 20 percent every time you shop with AQHA Corporate Partner Montana Silversmiths. The benefits don’t stop there; AQHA and our sponsors are here to support members in every way possible. If you aren’t a member, join or renew your membership today to let your membership pay for itself in discounts and benefits.
- Get Social: Share your #AQHAProud experiences this summer and connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, Twitter and Google+.
Summer is already flying by, so take advantage of these fun AQHA activities this summer and make many #AQHAProud memories during AQHA’s 75th anniversary!
For more information on AQHA events and programs, visit www.aqha.com.