National Youth Racing Experience Scholarship Winners Named
Three AQHYA members earned a total of $6,000 in scholarships at the 2016 AQHYA National Youth Racing Experience.
November 4, 2016
American Quarter Horse Youth Association
Ten youth competed October 26-29 at the 2016 American Quarter Horse Youth Association National Youth Racing Experience at Los Alamitos Race Course in Los Alamitos, California, to earn college scholarships worth a total of $6,000.
The youth selected to attend this year’s AQHYA National Youth Racing Experience were:
- Garrett Barnes of Star, Idaho
- Garrett Conway of Muncie, Indiana
- Hunter Duncan of Terre Haute, Indiana
- Alan Hinds of Lawrence, Kansas
- Kara Horton of Omaha, Nebraska
- Charles Lee of McAllen, Texas
- Erica Mehlhaus of Boone, Iowa
- Jayden Muench of Ogden, Iowa
- Katie Orth of Randall, Minnesota
- Timothy “Wes” Thibodeaux of Elmer, Louisiana
Three scholarships were presented to the high-scoring students who completed a workbook, onsite worksheets and a practical test during the Bank of America Challenge Championships at Los Alamitos Race Course. The winners are determined through evaluation of each participant throughout the educational experience.
Erica Mehlhaus won the top prize of $3,000. Finishing second was Hunter Duncan, earning $2,000; and Katie Orth was third, receiving $1,000.
The AQHYA National Youth Racing Experience introduces youth to the sport of racing. Participants got a behind-the-scenes look into the industry and met the people who help the races go on every day, including stewards, announcers, owners, trainers, jockeys and their horses.
Participants were selected through an application process for this all-expenses-paid trip.
How to Apply
Not only do AQHYA National Youth Racing Experience champions walk away with a sizeable scholarship check in hand, but they also get to enjoy the fruits of an all-expenses-paid trip to the Bank of America Challenge Championship races.
Here’s how to apply for the 2017 event:
- You must be 16 years old by the date of the event.
- You must be an AQHYA member.
- Attend your Regional Racing Experience, then be the selected regional nominee to attend the National Youth Racing Experience.
- If your area does not offer a Regional Racing Experience, you can complete the online application.
- Submit your application by September 1, 2017.
- Applications will be reviewed, and 10 nominees will be selected to attend the AQHYA National Youth Racing Experience and Bank of America Challenge Championships.