AQHA-PRCA Horses of the Year
AQHA and the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association announce the 2018 speed-event horses of the year.
October 11, 2018
The American Quarter Horse Association
Equine athletes in the sport of rodeo play a vital role in helping every competitor achieve his or her goals.
The American Quarter Horse Association and Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association honor the outstanding registered American Quarter Horse in each of the PRCA's timed-event categories at the annual PRCA Awards Banquet in Las Vegas before the start of the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo.
This year's banquet is December 5 at the South Point Casino in Las Vegas.
The owner of the PRCA/AQHA/WPRA "Horses of the Year" in each category will be awarded $5,000 and an AQHA bronze trophy. Second place will receive $3,000, and third place will receive $2,000.
The final voting process concluded October 5.
Of this year’s winners, two horses have won their respective titles at least once before: heel horse Zans Colonel Shine (2016-17) and steer wrestling horse Canted Plan (2017).
Here are the top three horses in each event:
- RK Tuff Trinket (“Bob”), owner/rider: Riley Minor
- Tuffys Badger Chex (“Badger”), rider: Kolton Schmidt; owner: Ronald Schmidt
- Pepinic Buck (“Festus”), rider: Rhen Richard; owner: A & C Racing & Roping
- Zans Colonel Shine (“Colonel”), rider: Jake Long; owner: Jake & Tasha Long
- Lula Dual (“Lula”), rider: Joseph Harrison; owner: AQHA Professional Horseman Bobby Lewis
- Leos Highbrow (“Sug”), owner/rider: Brady Minor
- Little Smart Leo (“Big Time”), owner/rider: Tyler Milligan
- Lights On CD (“Patron”), rider: Richard Rhen; owner: A & C Racing & Roping
- Arrogant Cutter (“Snoopy”), owner/rider: Ryan Jarrett
- Cooperslittletoy (“Cooper”), owner/rider: Chris Glover
- Sixs Rowdy Man (“Lawdog”), rider, Jarrett Blessing; owner: Jarrett & Jessica Blessing
- At War Leo (“Punchy”), owner/rider: Cody Lee
- Canted Plan (“Scooter”), riders: Tyler Pearson, Kyle Irwin, Tyler Waguespack, Justin Shaffer, owners: Tyler Pearson/Kyle Irwin
- RGR Ryon (“Maverick”), riders: Tom Lewis, plus several others; owner: Peggy Lewis
- Famous Hot Chick (“Holly”), riders: Chason Floyd, Tanner Brunner, others; owner: R2m2z
- DM Sissy Hayday (“Sister”), rider: Hailey Kinsel; owner: Dan & Leslie Kinsel
- KN Fabs Gift Of Fame (“JLo”), rider: Ivy Conrado; owners: Kenny Nichols & James Barron
- Rafter W Minnie Reba (“Sister”), rider: Nellie Miller; owner: Sam Williams