Los Al Adds Twist to Claiming Race

New format will allow winner to earn up to $21,160.

Press Release

Claiming horses will run for a big purse on May 24 at Los Alamitos.

Los Alamitos Race Course will card a special 350-yard Quarter Horse race for $12,500 claimers in the 3-year-old and upwards racing division in which the winner could earn up to $21,160 thanks to a lucrative new format on Saturday, May 24.

Horses entered will not only race for the already established purse money for this level of $12,720 (based on 10 starters per race with $6,160 going to the winner), but could earn as much as $15,000 in additional prize money from this new format. The additional prize money will derive from a separate pool paid into it by the connections of the horses in the race.

Watch live American Quarter Horse racing from around the country at Q-Racing Video!

By entering in this event, the owners and trainers in the race will make an entry payment of $2,000 per horse, which could reach $20,000 if the race draws a 10-horse field. The separate prize pool will award 75 percent of this money to the first-place finisher, while the second-place finisher will earn the remaining 25 percent. For example, if there’s $20,000 in the separate prize pool, the first-place finisher will earn $15,000. The second-place finisher will earn $5,000. This amount is in addition to the purse money in the race, which means that in this example the winning horse could earn $6,160 in purse money plus as much as $15,000 from the separate prize pool.

“The horsemen are looking forward to trying out this format at Los Alamitos,” said Ron Church, the racing secretary at Los Alamitos Race Course. “It will add excitement for the horsemen and the potential is there for horses at this $12,500 claiming level to make a lot of money. We will card this race on May 24, evaluate the results, and we’ll go from there.”

For more information, contact the Los Alamitos Racing Office at 714-820-2788.

AQHA News and information is a service of the American Quarter Horse Association. For more news and information,
follow @AQHARacing on Twitter, watch the AQHA Racing Newscast and visit www.aqharacing.com.