Report: Les Bois Park to Cancel 2016 Meet
The Boise, Idaho, track plans to not offer live racing next year.
November 2, 2015
KBOI Radio (670 AM)
Les Bois Park will not conduct a race meet next year, according to Boise radio station KBOI (670 AM).
John Sheldon, president of Treasure Valley Racing, which operates the track, told the station that without revenue from instant racing machines, horsemen will have to find another place to race.
Les Bois Park took a financial hit earlier this year when the instant racing machines were ruled illegal. After the ruling, the track was forced to lay off 86 employees.
“It makes it really difficult,” Sheldon told KBOI. “Owners are looking for where they are going to send their horses. They’re trying to come up with a plan for 2016, and we had hoped Les Bois Park could be a big part of that. But with no revenue coming in from (instant) racing, they’re going to have to find other places to run.”
Idaho Gov. Butch Otter said last month that he’d like to see instant racing machines return to Idaho, but with tighter regulations. Sheldon said that the governor’s push for instant racing machines offers hope for the state’s horse racing industry, though Otter won’t release his plan until his State of the State address in January.
AQHA News and information is a service of the American Quarter Horse Association. For more news and information, follow @AQHA Racing on Twitter, "like" Q-Racing on Facebook, and visit www.aqharacing.com.