CHRB Approves 2015-16 Dates for Los Alamitos
The board took this action and many more during its October 22 meeting at Santa Anita Park.
October 25, 2015
The California Horse Racing Board at its October 22 meeting in Arcadia allocated Quarter Horse dates to Los Alamitos Racecourse from December 26, 2015-December 18, 2016.
The board then approved the license application for the Los Alamitos Quarter Horse Racing Association to conduct a meet within those dates. It also authorized the LAQHRA to distribute $28,143 in race day charity proceeds to five beneficiaries and another $12,358 to five beneficiaries.
Also at the meeting:
- The CHRB approved for 45-day public notice proposed amendments to regulations for medication violation penalties, including a provision prohibiting licensees suspended for more than 30 days from transferring horses to employees.
- The Board approved for 45-day public notice a proposed regulation requiring a postmortem examination review process to determine the circumstances of each equine fatality for education and research purposes.
- The Board heard a report from the Pari-Mutuel, ADW, and Simulcast Committee on the previous day’s discussion of the possible impact of Fantasy Sports and Fantasy Horse Racing on the horse racing industry.
- CHRB staff reported on the ongoing, comprehensive effort to test and evaluate all racing surfaces in California in order to establish operational and maintenance standards for minimizing the incidence of injuries.
- CHRB staff also reported progress in the Microchip Pilot Project, which is developing techniques for horse identification and tracking purposes, as a precursor to a possible regulation that would require all horses racing in California to be microchipped.
- The Board approved a regulatory amendment adjusting the riding fee scale for losing mounts to reflect California’s minimum wage increase of 11.1 percent.
- The Board approved for 45-day public notice a proposed regulation requiring all licensees to wear a safety vest when mounted on a horse on a track.
The audio of the entire board meeting is available at the CHRB website under the Webcast link.
AQHA News and information is a service of the American Quarter Horse Association. For more news and information, follow @AQHA Racing on Twitter, "like" Q-Racing on Facebook, and visit www.aqharacing.com.