Remington Stakes Schedule
Remington Park opens its meet on March 11.
January 4, 2016
The 2016 American Quarter Horse and Mixed-breed Season at Remington Park begins March 11. The run of 50-dates is already set to shatter at least one record well before getting underway, boasting a schedule of stakes races with purses above $5.7 million.
The overall total for the 40 stakes events is an estimate, due to the large number of futurity and derby programs throughout the Remington Park schedule. The purses for those races are not finalized until entry time. The schedule in 2015 also contained 40 stakes events with estimated purses at $5.3 million.
The $1.1 million Heritage Place Futurity headlines the season and the Mega-Card Closing Night on Saturday, June 4. There will be eight stakes races on the final night of the season, 20% of the entire schedule of stakes events. The Grade 1 Heritage Place Futurity along with the Grade 1, $250,000 Remington Park Championship will help determine the top horses for the first half of the year in Quarter Horse racing. Also on Mega-Card Night:
- Grade 2, $370,000 Heritage Place Derby
- Grade 2, $100,000 Junos Request Stakes (increased from $50,000 in 2014)
- Grade 2, $50,000 Remington Park Distance Championship
- Grade 1, $210,000 Speedhorse Graham Paint/Appaloosa Futurity
- $100,000 Heritage Place Juvenile
- $50,000 Easy Jet Stakes, restricted Grade 3, for Oklahoma-breds
The Mega-Card Night on June 4 will be worth over $2 million in total purses. The 2015 edition set a record for the richest racing card ever at Remington Park with total purses of $2,335,710.
Programs featuring multiple stakes races will take place throughout the season. The first such evening is on Saturday, March 26, led by the historic 75th Oklahoma Futurity. The oldest futurity in the sport, first contested in 1947, carries an estimated purse of $400,000 and Grade 3 status. Also on March 26:
- Grade 3, $260,000 Oklahoma Derby
- Grade 1, $140,000 Oklahoma Paint/Appaloosa Futurity
- Grade 1, $40,000 Speedhorse Graham Paint/Appaloosa Derby
- $50,000 Oklahoma Juvenile
The richest state-bred futurity and derby program in the sport will have the spotlight in April as the Oklahoma-breds shine Saturday, April 23 in the $820,000 Remington Park Futurity (RG2) and the $300,000 Remington Park Derby (RG3). Also that night:
- Grade 2, $50,000 Bob Moore Memorial Stakes
- $70,000 Laico Bird Stakes for Oklahoma-bred 2-year-olds
The Oklahoma Regional Stakes for the Bank of America Challenge will be run on Sunday, May 22. The Grade 2, $100,000 Bank of America Oklahoma Challenge Championship leads the program that includes:
- Grade 3, $50,000 Zoetis Oklahoma Distance Challenge
- Grade 3, $40,000 Merial Oklahoma Distaff Challenge
Just a week later, Oklahoma-breds are featured in divisional stake competition, including:
- $70,000 Boyd Morris Memorial, 3-year-olds and up, 400 yards
- $70,000 Easy Date Stakes, fillies & mares, 3 and older, 350 yards
- $70,000 FL Lady Bug Stakes, 2-year-olds, 330 yards
- $50,000 Jack Brooks Stakes, 3-year-olds, 350 yards
The stakes action in 2016 at Remington Park starts on the first Sunday afternoon of the season on March 13 with the Grade 2, $50,000 Eastex Stakes and the $70,000 Mighty Deck Three Stakes for Oklahoma-breds.
In addition to the Remington Park Distance Championship and the Zoetis Oklahoma Distance Challenge, the longer distance runners will compete in the $50,000 SLM Big Daddy Stakes at 550 yards on March 19 and the Grade 3, $50,000 Pauls Valley Stakes at 870 yards, on April 7.
A pair of graded events are presented on Saturday, April 2 with the Grade 1, $100,000 Leo Stakes at 400 yards and the Grade 3, $50,000 Decketta Stakes at 350 yards for older fillies & mares.
Other stakes events on the schedule:
- $70,000 Mr. Jet Moore (RG3), April 7, older Oklahoma-breds at 350 yards
- $22,500 Paul Harber Mem., April 15, older Ok-bred Paints/Appaloosas, 350yds
- $22,500 Victoria Ennis Mem., April 22, 2-year-old Ok-bred Paints/Apps, 330yds
- $100,000 Remington Park Juvenile, April 24, 2-year-old Ok-breds, 330yds
- $70,000 Mr. Master Bug, April 24, Oklahoma-bred 3-year-olds, 350 yds
- Grade 1, $95,000 American Paint Classic, 2-year-olds, 350yds
- Grade 1, $35,000 American Paint Derby, 3-year-olds, 400yds
- $100,000 Sooner State Stakes (RG1), May 7, older Oklahoma-breds, 400yds
- Grade 1, $30,000 Mister Lewie Memorial, older Paints/Appaloosas, 400yds
- Grade 1, $30,000 National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum Stakes, June 3, older Paints/Appaloosas, 440yds
The regular first race time is 6pm on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays with a start time of 1:30 p.m. on Sunday afternoons. Special start times will take place on Kentucky Derby Saturday, May 7 and Preakness Stakes Saturday, May 21. The first race on Memorial Day Monday, May 30 is at 1:30pm. There will be no racing on Easter Sunday, March 27. All Times are Central.
Morning training will begin just over a month before the start of racing as horses are welcome on the track for the first time Tuesday, Feb. 9. The first offering of training races is slated for Wednesday, Feb. 10. Training races will be presented normally on Wednesdays, and some Thursdays. The training races are usually concluded by early April.
Open daily for casino gaming and simulcast racing, Remington Park features the Bricktown Brewery on the casino floor. Admission, general parking and valet parking are always free at Remington Park, home of the historic $400,000 Oklahoma Futurity. The 75th running of the oldest futurity in Quarter Horse racing takes place on Saturday, March 26, 2016.
Tracked by over 88,000 fans on Facebook and 6,700 Twitter followers, Remington Park is Oklahoma City’s only Racetrack & Casino and is located at the junction of Interstates 35 & 44, in the heart of the Oklahoma City Adventure District. For more information, reservations and group bookings please call 405-424-1000, 866-456-9880 or visit remingtonpark.com.
AQHA News and information is a service of the American Quarter Horse Association. For more news and information, follow @AQHARacing on Twitter, “like” Q-Racing on Facebook and visit www.aqharacing.com.