Sunland Park Announces Ship-In Policies for 2016-17 Meet
The track's barn area opens November 28.
November 16, 2016
Sunland Park Racetrack in southern New Mexico will enact stringent bio-security ship-in policies for the upcoming racing meet which begins on Friday, December 16.
All horsemen are to be advised of the policy for shipping all horses into the Sunland Park barn area. The following documentation must be provided for every horse at the stable gate before they can gain access into the barn area at Sunland Park:
1. A current health certificate issued within 72 hours prior to arrival (from place of origin) at the track which shows the vaccination record for each horse. The horse must have been vaccinated with an FDA approved modified live or killed virus vaccine for EHV-1 not less than 14 days and not more than 180 days prior to date of entry. The veterinarian must provide the date of vaccination, the brand serial number, and the expiration date of vaccine.
2. The health certificate must also contain a statement by the issuing veterinarian that he/she has physically examined each horse within 72 hours of issuing the health certificate stating that the horse does not exhibit and clinical signs of the virus and the temperature of the horse was normal at the time of examination.
3. It is highly recommended that horsemen keep every horse admitted to or in the barn area of Sunland Park Racetrack on a current 90 day FDA approved EHV-1 vaccine or EHV-1 booster schedule.
Additionally, The New Mexico State Racing Commission requires that all horses entering Sunland Park must have proof of:
1. A negative annual Coggins Test.
2. A negative piroplasmosis test completed within the last two years for Quarter Horses.
3. An influenza vaccination within the last six months.
4. A Rhinopneumonitis vaccination within the last six months.
5. Eastern and Western Equine Encephalitis, Tetanus and West Nile vaccinations within the last 12 months.
The Sunland Park barn area opens on November 28. The racetrack will be open for training starting on December 2. For further information regarding New Mexico Racing Industry Contagious Disease Prevention, please call the Sunland Park racing office at (575) 874-5229.
AQHA News and information is a service of the American Quarter Horse Association. For more news and information, follow @AQHA Racing on Twitter, "like" Q-Racing on Facebook, and visit www.aqharacing.com.