Pumphrey Golf Tournament
August 29 tournament offers fun and fellowship.
July 17, 2018
An exciting array of items will be offered during the Jay Pumphrey Golf Tournament auction, to be held on Wednesday, August 29.
The annual Jay Pumphrey Golf Tournament will be held that day at the Links at Sierra Blanca in Ruidoso.
“The Pumphrey” coincides each year with the Ruidoso Select Yearling Sale and All American Week at Ruidoso Downs. The tournament is intended to promote fellowship among American Quarter Horse racing enthusiasts and has helped get many newcomers involved in the industry. If you have friends or business associates you’d like to introduce to American Quarter Horse racing, please invite them to play.
This year, items in the auction include an autographed guitar from Michael Martin Murphy, donated by Murphy and Dr. Steve Brontherton. Also among the items being offered are:
- Framed Orren Mixer Print (donated by AQHA Racing Department)
- Cedar Chest (donated by Ben Hudson)
- Jewelry (donated by Christine Hudson)
- Moonshine (donated by Jeff Pumphrey)
- Framed WT Buffalo (donated by WT Lance Kieth)
- Four autographed posters of this year’s Triple Crown winner, Justify (donated by Ben Hudson)
- 16x20 group photo of famed jockeys Pat Day, Mike Smith, Laffit Pincay, Jerry Bailey, Shane Sellers, Kent Desormeaux, Eddie Delahoussaye and Chris Antley, signed by the jockeys (donated by Jack Coady).
The event’s shotgun start kicks off at 11 a.m. Following the tournament, the awards dinner and auction will be held at Ruidoso Downs Racetrack, beginning at 7 p.m. There will be a dinner, awards ceremony, live music, and live and silent auctions. All proceeds will benefit the Jay Pumphrey Animal Sciences Scholarship fund.
Attendees can register online or download an entry form. Registration fees are $175 by August 20, or $200 on day of tournament, and include two dinner tickets. Additional dinner tickets can be purchased for $40.
The tournament is underwritten by Johnny and Jana Trotter, Burnett Ranches, Whiteface Ford and Knorpp Insurance. Dinner is underwritten by Reed Beverage and hosted by Ruidoso Downs Racetrack.
AQHA News and information is a service of the American Quarter Horse Association. For more news and information, follow @AQHARacing on Twitter, “like” Q-Racing on Facebook and visit www.aqharacing.com.