Refrigerator Fund for Equine Head Trauma
Call for Targeted Research Equine Head Trauma
The American Quarter Horse Foundation is now accepting research proposals with specific emphasis on equine head trauma. Special consideration will be given to projects with collaborative approaches between departments and or institutions. Targeted research directed at any of the following common avenues will be given equal consideration:
- Prospective or retrospective analysis: including specific history of event, documentation of behavior or management during the traumatic event and associated conditions (weather, home environment, show environment, etc.).
- Alternatives available and management/products being evaluated.
- First aid options in primary emergency care.
- Field stabilization, monitoring and transport to surgical/intensive care facility.
- Evaluation and comparison of imaging techniques (x-ray, MRI, CT) with specific interest in prognosis/outcome.
- Comparison of imaging data to anatomic pathology documentation at necropsy in terminal cases.
- Medical management or surgical intervention techniques.
Prognosis (Retrospective Analysis)
- Return to function
- Humane existence/quality of life
Deadline for submission of proposals is November 1.
Proposals should conform to the general research proposal format. In addition to existing research funding offered, specialized assistance is available through the Young Investigator Award. Funding period will be October 1 through September 30 of the year awarded.
To obtain an application, visit our web site at www.aqha.com/foundation or contact Laura Owens with the American Quarter Horse Foundation at (806) 378-5034 or firstname.lastname@example.org.